Wordfast Pro 2+ is it already really reliable or not?
Thread poster: Dragomir Kovacevic

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:01
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2009

Sorry colleagues for this kind of question; but I'd really like to know whether Wf Pro is operative for a normal and regular work, or it is a risky software at this stage of its development.

I.e. can a translator, used to a fluid type of work in Wf Classic for many years, pass on Wf Pro 2 without compromises, risks, surprises, loss of data, loss of performance?

Thank you, Dragomir.

[Edited at 2009-11-30 18:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
WordFast Pro seems alright Nov 30, 2009

I downloaded WordFast Pro last week. I've used it to completed a couple of smaller projects. So far I haven't had any problems beyond getting used to the new interface. It worked just as well as WordFast Classic. One extra is that I was able to input, translate, and output an Excel worksheet.

The WordFast site claims that you can use the same license for Classic as for Pro, but I haven't found out how to get my demo copy of Pro to accept the Classic license number.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:01
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Compromises is the key word Nov 30, 2009

Moving from Wordfast Classic to Wordfast Pro (as they call it for no apparent reason) entails compromising a lot of functionality you've been taking for granted.

The only strong point of Wordfast Pro is when you have to translate an Excel file in which there is a column with the source segments and you have to enter the translations in another column in the same worksheet. I have yet to find this feature in another CAT tool, and I only use Wordfast Pro when I have such a document to handle.

For all other projects I avoid it, because it is totally unreliable. They posted an update last week and when you went to download it from within the software, through Help>Check for updates..., it would throw an exception and installation could not proceed. They say they fixed it, but they only fixed half of it. Even now, if you go and try to download the updated "third party plugins" the installation throws an error at some point and there's nothing you can do about it.

So, if they can't get their updating routine right, can you really rely on this program for serious work?

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Wordfast Pro license Nov 30, 2009

Richard Bartholomew wrote:

The WordFast site claims that you can use the same license for Classic as for Pro, but I haven't found out how to get my demo copy of Pro to accept the Classic license number.

Not exactly that way, if I may jump in with an OT. The procedure to generate a free license is described here: http://www.wordfast.com/support_relicenseWFP.html

You cannot use your Classic license directly on Pro.

HTH

[Edited at 2009-11-30 19:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 2+ is it already really reliable or not?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search