Cannot get Wordfast to perform a translation function
Thread poster: guyd
guyd
Italian to English
Dec 8, 2009

I just DLed Wordfast, and it appears to be correctly installed, with all the green toolbars in place. So:

Having read the two simple instructions in the manual, I open a test document, containing just one word ("buongiorno").

I click on the far right "F" icon to open the TM box.

I click "new TM".

I supply the two codes: IT-IT and EN-GB, then name & save the text file.

Back to the test document, the TM box is still open, so I close the.

I click on far-left icon to begin translation process.

The two coloured strips appear, with my "buongiorno" in the upper blue one. But the lower strip, grey, contains no translation.

I tried again, reversing the language codes. No good.

I removed the programme and reinstalled. No good.

Help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:55
Italian to English
Miracles take a little longer Dec 8, 2009

Hi Guyd

Wordfast doesn't translate! You need to enter your translation - Hello.
When you have built up a translation memory, it will remember how you translated it last time and remind you.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:55
German to English
+ ...
CAT tools support YOUR translation work, Dec 8, 2009

as Russell points out, they don't do it for you. Machine Translation programs do that (usually badly). The CAT tools are basically databases that record your translations as (pre-defined) segments and then insert them back in automatically when the program "recognizes" a match, i.e. the same or a similar (for example, 70% match) segment.

I use mostly SDL Trados and sometimes Wordfast, both of which can be useful for some types of documents, but not at all for others. It's only worthwhile buying them if you translate texts that contain a lot of repetitions or do a lot of work for one customer to whom terminology consistency is important.

There are some articles and information about CAT tools under the Tools tab at the top right of the ProZ website. You might want to read up on the different ones.

guyd
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Kill me now... Dec 8, 2009

Oh Gawd, well didn't I totally misunderstand that??????

I'm not super IT-literate, but that's the first time I didn't realise what the software was actually used for!

Thanks, gentlemen (departs to stick head in gas oven).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot get Wordfast to perform a translation function

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search