How to produce a TM compatible with Trados 7?
Thread poster: Mohamed A. Moustafa

Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 14, 2009

Hello,

I am using WF pro demo version for the first time. I have created a new project and and started the translation.
1- When I finish the translation, how should I save the file? Should I choose "save as" or "save translated file"?
2- How to produce a TM compatible with Trados 7?
3- Is it possible to produce an unclean file? Is there an alternative?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:12
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
tmx Dec 14, 2009

Hi, sorry I don't have wordfast installed on my computer, I can only telll you how to by memory.
1. You can choose both options.
2. Export your TM to tmx format
3. By unclean file, do you mean bilingual file? Wordfast can automatically populate a bilingual file for you, the extension of which should be .bak. If you use wordfast to open that file, you will find both source and taget units are in there.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:12
French to English
tmx TM is the only possibility for trados Dec 14, 2009

Muhammad Abdulfattah Ahmad wrote:

1- When I finish the translation, how should I save the file? Should I choose "save as" or "save translated file"?

save translated file

not sure exactly where - but there is an option somewhere to export your TM to tmx format

No, with WF Pro, there is no way to produce a trados compatible bilingual/unclean file. The alternative is to send the tmx TM to your client, or else - use WF Classic with your existing TM and translate automatically from the TM to create a suitable bilingual file.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Not in WFP Dec 14, 2009

Henry Zhang wrote:

3. By unclean file, do you mean bilingual file? Wordfast can automatically populate a bilingual file for you, the extension of which should be .bak. If you use wordfast to open that file, you will find both source and taget units are in there.

No, that only works for WF Classic, not WF Pro

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Answers Dec 14, 2009

Dear Muhammad,

In Wordfast Pro, "Save" is for saving the bilingual TXML file you are working on. "Save Translated File" is for having the final target translated file in the original format (e.g. doc, xls, ppt, html, etc.). Also, there is the "Cleanup" feature that enables you to clean up multiple TXML files and update a TM.

As colleagues said, you can export your TM into the TMX format. TMX TMs can be imported into a Trados TM (File > Import) as long as the language pair is the same.

To export a Translation Memory from WFP:

- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- Form the *Local TM* dropdown menu, select the TM you want to export.
- From the dropdown menu *Export Type*, select *TMX Format*
- Browse to select the preferred location and name.

If you mean segmented file, so you need Wordfast Classic, as colleagues said. You can find some lessons and videos (in Arabic) on Wordfast Classic at:
http://tr-ar.com/wordfast/

I hope they can help you grasp Wordfast main concepts and features.

Again, some colleagues who prefer to use WF Pro, use the same TM to pre-translate the file in WF Classic and get the segmented (unclean) file. However, I think Wordfast Classic is just as easy as Wordfast Pro and you can use it directly if you need unclean files.

HTH,
Yasmin

Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks. one final question Dec 15, 2009

Many thanks, Henry and Lori, for your help and time.
Yasmin, thank you so much for the details. Should I commit to the translation to the TM after finishing the whole translation or every time I am done with a translation segment? I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Alt+Down is enough Dec 15, 2009

Should I commit to the translation to the TM after finishing the whole translation or every time I am done with a translation segment?

Dear Muhammad,

As long as you use Alt+Down to move between segments, your TUs will be committed to the TM. But some translators prefer to use the mouse to move between segments (and switch off the warning), which means that some segments/modifications will NOT be committed to the TM.

In general, Violet means that the segment has been committed to the TM while Pink means that the segment has been modified without committing to the TM. If you finish the translation and can still see some Pink segments, it is better to press Alt+End to make sure that all the segments have been committed to the TM. Having Green and Yellow segments is not a problem; most importantly, make sure you do not have Pink segments.

HTH,
Yasmin

Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use the mouse... Dec 15, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I use the mouse to move between the segments. Until now I have all the "score" fields in violet, and the ID, English, and Arabic columns are in white. Am I doing the right thing? Sorry for taking much for your time . I am just new to this tool.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Alt+End Dec 15, 2009

I use the mouse to move between the segments. Until now I have all the "score" fields in violet, and the ID, English, and Arabic columns are in white.

I do not think that you can use the mouse only (without Alt+Down or Alt+End) and have violet segments.

Anyhow, just make sure you "Save" your TXML file once in a while, and at the end of the translation, you can use Alt+End to commit all the segments to the TM.

HTH,
Yasmin

Eleni Zissi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:12
French to Greek
+ ...
There is no export button Jan 15, 2010

Dear Yasmin

I am working on Wordfast Version: 2.1.8 Build id: 20081231-1411 and I want to export my TM in tmx as you suggest

[/quote]To export a Translation Memory from WFP:

- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- Form the *Local TM* dropdown menu, select the TM you want to export.
- From the dropdown menu *Export Type*, select *TMX Format*
- Browse to select the preferred location and name.[quote]

But there is no export button option for TM! There is only export for Terminology. What is wrong here??

Thank you in advance,
Eleni

Egypt
English to Arabic
Upgrade Jan 15, 2010

Eleni Zissi wrote:

I am working on Wordfast Version: 2.1.8 Build id: 20081231-1411 and I want to export my TM in tmx as you suggest

But there is no export button option for TM! There is only export for Terminology. What is wrong here??

Dear Eleni,

The version you use is very old. Please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

HTH,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to produce a TM compatible with Trados 7?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search