how to import .doc updates in wordfast ?
Thread poster: Cristina Imbucatura
Cristina Imbucatura
Italy
Local time: 19:12
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Dec 15, 2009

Hello

I am working with a huge document of 124 pages . Using wordfast I already translated 30 pages.
I sent the first 30 pages of the translated document (via wordfast) to be reviewed/checked to person to fix spelling and other possible errors. Now that I have the corrected .doc (first 30 pages) how can I update the first 30 pages in wordfast too ? Is there a fast way to do that ?

In other words I have a person which corrects the translations for me but he does not have wordfast . If he corrects my translated docs (created with wordfast) , then which is the faster way to update my wordfast TM with his corrections ?

Thank you
Cristina

[Modificato alle 2009-12-15 20:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Hello Cristina Dec 15, 2009

I assume that you have sent cleaned text for review and then you got checked text without wordfast tagging.
1. Create .doc file with 30 first pages of source text and open only this file with Word.
2. Click Wordfast Setup (Ctrl+Alt+W) -> Tools -> Extract and save this file as .txt file.
3. Create .doc file with 30 checked pages of target text and open only this file with Word.
4. Click Wordfast Setup (Ctrl+Alt+W) -> Tools -> Extract and save this file as .txt file.
5. Open only both created .txt files with Word.
6. Run +Tools macro (http://www.wordfast.net/zip/ptools.zip) in Word, click +Align, select source document and target document, enable "This documents have been segmented with Wordfast" and "Use the classic alignment interface", click Start alignment.
7. All documents should be automatically closed except table with source and target segments. Match them with use of Ins, Del, Merge, Splitt, Abbr options in +Tools toolbar.
8. Click +Align -> Create TM.
9. Save new TM with checked translation and select it as default TM for future use.
Let me know if it was helpful.

Marcin Rey  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to French
+ ...
Have your proofreader work on the segmented file Dec 15, 2009

You can send the bilingual, segmented file to your proofreader ad have him work on the target segments. He just has to pay attention not to damage the delimiter tags. Then you get the file back and you run WF on it – your TM should update.

Cristina Imbucatura
Italy
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 16, 2009

Thank you all,

however the 2 procedure seems to me fairly complicated ( Slawomir Nieciecki procedure requires time and fairly complicated while the Rey procedure is not easy to apply for the proofreader because the document is big and he wil be lost between all those xml tags) .
If the proofreader edits my already translated part using Wordfast pro trial (opening my txml) , do you see any limitation when I will receive the corrected document in my Wordfast pro
licensed ?
If no , how can i merge the proofreader corrected txml (first 30 pages) in my current txml (first 60 pages i.e.) ? .

[Modificato alle 2009-12-16 07:29 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Cristina Imbucatura
Italy
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dec 16, 2009

Vladislav Badalov wrote:

Use the PlusToyz tool (http://files.mail.ru/FIF5BH). Go to "Format conversions" and select "Trados-like segmented text to Word table". Send this table to the reviewer and instruct him/her to edit the target column. Then use "Word table to Trados-like segmented text". You are done!

[Редактировалось 2009-12-16 07:57 GMT]

Thank you , this seems to be really the faster way . I will try it even if there is still a problem.

I have to do 130 pages. I send to my proofreader the first 30 pages . Since I can't wait his corrections , while I wait his corrections for first 30 pages , I continue to translate and suppose I reach page 50.

So when I will have his correction in the procedure you explained above , I will have a corrected
.txml for the first 30 page and my .txml for first 50 pages .
How to merge correctly the 2 .txml ? Should I do it carefully using Word (doing a manual replace) ?

[Modificato alle 2009-12-16 09:46 GMT]

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Corrections Dec 16, 2009

I work with WF Classic for 8 years now, but never found a solution to this problem. If the proofreader cannot make his corrections on the unclean file, the only other solutions are:
- align (Slawomir's solution), which is complicated
- open both files (the corrected one and your version) on the screen and correct manually your own translation from the beginning to the end, segment by segment, then clean up.
- correct directly the TM, which is in .txt mode and can be read in Notepad or Word.

As far as I know there is no other way.

Vladislav Badalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:12
Russian to English
+ ...
Not a one-click solution but some automation... Dec 16, 2009

The following method...

[[[Use the PlusToyz tool from http://files.mail.ru/FIF5BH.
Go to "Format conversions" and select "Trados-like segmented text to Word table". Send this table to the reviewer and instruct him/her to edit the target column. Then use "Word table to Trados-like segmented text".]]]

...is to update your TM on the move by cleaning the new portions of text received from your proofreader! (...if he/she is quick enough to deliver the proofread portions back to you before you have finished the translation.)

I would attempt to update the whole file only after completing the entire process. What about re-translating a new copy of the original document using the WF function "Auto translate while 100% match"? Though I am not sure this will go smoothly with all your XML tags!.. Automatic re-translation of a pure-text document would certainly be no problem...

[Редактировалось 2009-12-16 13:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to import .doc updates in wordfast ?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search