TM does not contain all the entries
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Dec 27, 2009

Since some weeks, I have been under the impression (but I am quite sure now) that my TM does not register all the entries. I have a rather big "mama memory" which I use nearly all the time, and I work only with WF, so everything should be at least in one TM, but it isn't.

It happens for example that part of a translation or even the whole translation that I did e.g. last week with my main TM is not registered there. I clean normally EVERY file and always update the TM.

When I notice that something is missing (my own memory is quite good, fortunately...), I research the term and clean again the.bak file which contans it and sometimes then I find all the segments in the memory, somtimes I don't. This is not normal in my opinion.

This never happened to me before. I have used Wf for 5 or 6 years now, so I am not a novice any more.

Is it possible that the TM could be corrupted?

I find this behaviour rather bewildering and would very much appreciate any advice.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I use Wordfast Classic, of course.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-12-27 22:52 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Did you ever use the Sort-Reorganise functionality? Dec 27, 2009

There are two possible reasons for that:

1. A corrupt TM. I have seen a TM getting corrupt after sorting and then reorganising it with WF's own (built-in) functionality. The TMs that have very long segments are particuarly apt to become corrupt. I no longer use WF's TM management functions and do all the TM management with Olifant except merging TMs which so far has proved to be safe. Just reorganising seems to be safe, too. But I would advise that you check your TM regularly with Olifant because there may be other errors in your TM that Olifant may be able to locate and correct before they turn into a chain reaction of corruption.

2. Sometimes WF tends to overlook some matches, even the 100% ones. I have no idea why it happens nor if a remedy exists.

P.S. It may be that your TM became corrupt back when you were using an older version of WF. I stick to WF 5.51 and I am afraid I have seen it happen with this version. Maybe the problem is fixed now that the newer versions exist. I have not come round to giving them a try though.

[Edited at 2009-12-27 23:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-12-27 23:58 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:24
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
BTM Dec 28, 2009

Why not using the big mamma TM as a read-only BTM? Of course, after cleaning full duplicates in it, checking for errors, reorganizing, compacting it as well.

The advantage of using BTM is in using another smaller, or temporary TM, the one you create for each single transl. project. It means that the operations of modifying and cleaning of TM are easier on a smaller scale. In the end, you might even import the TM into BTM if you wish.

Also, don't forget about another feature of Wf Classic: reference search. Besides the search by means of concordance (in the very TM-s used), with reference search, you can examine the whole repository of your TM-s, or the complete translation dir. It means that one can rely on all the previously translated material and glossaries as well.

Dragomir

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Since some weeks, I have been under the impression (but I am quite sure now) that my TM does not register all the entries. I have a rather big "mama memory" which I use nearly all the time

[Edited at 2009-12-28 07:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM does not contain all the entries

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search