Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:53
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 11, 2010

I have Trados Freelance 7.0, Windows XP Professional, MS Office 2003 and Wordfast Pro. Because one of my main clients is insisting that I should also use Wordfast for his projects, I have started using it.

Since I have been translating by using Trados, I want to import my Trados memory into Wordfast as it will be very helpful if I get the similar matter to translate. For this purpose, I exported the Trados memory as TMX 1.4(*tmx.). When I opened it in Wordfast, I got this prompt: The file is in TMX format, a copy will be created in local format. Non-compatible locales will not be imported. After analysis and conversion, I received this message: Total TMX TUs 26374, Total imported 9459
Locales in TMX: EN-US-HI

So, only one third of memory was imported into Wordfast. I think it is due to some technical problem which I am unable to understand.

I'd be thankful if you could advise me how I should import all of my Trados memory into Wordfast.

Regards,

Chopra

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to import the whole memory from Trados into Wordfast Jan 11, 2010

langclinic wrote:

The file is in TMX format, a copy will be created in local format. Non-compatible locales will not be imported. After analysis and conversion, I received this message: Total TMX TUs 26374, Total imported 9459 Locales in TMX: EN-US-HI

Chopra

My first idea would be to open the TMX memory and the imported WF-memory with any text editor and see if there exists some differences between the languages definition. For example, EN-US and EN-UK are interpreted as different language variationes when a memory is imported. If the above mentioned difference exists, it is possible to solve it easily searching and replacing the language definition in the TMX-memory by the one defined to import the WF-memory.

[Editado a las 2010-01-11 11:25 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Olifant Jan 11, 2010

Dear Chopra,

Please download and install Olifant:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Open your TMX TM in Olifant and save it as Wordfast TM. Now, try to open the generated .txt TM in WFP again.

I hope this helps. If the problem persists, please send me the TMX TM (to see what may the problem be).

(Please replace ## with @)

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Egypt
English to Arabic
Locales in TMX Jan 11, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

My first idea would be to open the TMX memory and the imported WF-memory with any text editor and see if there exists some differences between the languages definition. For example, EN-US and EN-UK are interpreted as different language variationes when a memory is imported. If the above mentioned difference exists, it is possible to solve it easily searching and replacing the language definition in the TMX-memory by the one defined to import the WF-memory.

You are right, Pablo! But in this case the message should indicate the problem. But it does not.

Still, Chopra should double-check that the language codes are OK as you described. Otherwise, the TMX file must include other sorts of errors.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
just export first.. Jan 11, 2010

Hi! it is usually a .txt file, then open wordfast then start with new memory and import. I used wf for many years and it is fairly easy. Atleast you are not driving crazy in a desert. Brandis

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to import the whole memory from Trados into Wordfast" Jan 11, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

You are right, Pablo! But in this case the message should indicate the problem. But it does not.

Still, Chopra should double-check that the language codes are OK as you described. Otherwise, the TMX file must include other sorts of errors.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Hi, Yasmine: Perhaps it has not mentioned it in the message, because he is not aware of the above mentioned possibility. Completing your message above regarding the possibility that another type of errors exists in the TMX-memory, I suggest Chopra to verify it with a TMX-validator application.

Another suggestion that may be useful is that once the Trados memory is exported to a TMX-format, to use the wf2tmx converter that can be downloaded from the file section of the corresponding WF-Yahoogroup to do the conversion.

[Editado a las 2010-01-11 23:24 GMT]

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:53
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion, but... Jan 12, 2010

I downloaded Olifant and followed the procedure mentioned by you. I imported the file into Wordfast but this time I was not told how many units were imported out of total. There seems to be some improvement in respect of number of units imported but still the translation is not shown for some segments which were already in Trados memory.

Can something else be done to import the complete memory?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Chopra

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Please download and install Olifant:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Open your TMX TM in Olifant and save it as Wordfast TM. Now, try to open the generated .txt TM in WFP again.

[Edited at 2010-01-12 01:56 GMT]

Egypt
English to Arabic
Number of TUs Jan 13, 2010

langclinic wrote:

I downloaded Olifant and followed the procedure mentioned by you. I imported the file into Wordfast but this time I was not told how many units were imported out of total. There seems to be some improvement in respect of number of units imported but still the translation is not shown for some segments which were already in Trados memory.

Can something else be done to import the complete memory?

Dear Chopra,

Do not you know how many segments were in the TM? In Olifant you can scroll down to the end of the file to see the line number. Olifant may ignore some segments with errors or even trim the TM at some problematic segment. WFP first said: Total TMX TUs 26374, right? Can you see what the number of the last line in Olifant is?

Also, there are two things that can help:

1) You can lower the Fuzzy Match Threshold (Edit menu > Preferences > Translation Memory Fuzzy Match Threshold > 40) to get more matches, if possible.

2) TM Lookup in Wordfast Pro can help you make better use of translation units already stored in the TM. In Wordfast Pro, you can select a word or phrase from the source text and press Ctrl+Alt+L (or you can type the word/phrase in the Lookup TM textbox and click on "Find in Source" or "Find in Target" button; you can use quotes to search for the exact phrase.) to find a list of results appearing in the TM Lookup pane. You can select the result you like and press Ctrl+Alt+M to insert it into the target cell. Also, you can simply copy just a part of the result after double-clicking it.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import the whole memory from Trados into Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search