Help! A 'provisional bookmark segment' has locked my doc. How do I remove it?
Thread poster: GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa
Local time: 03:55
German to English
Jan 12, 2010

Can anybody help out there in PROZ-land? I'm using Wordfast Classic together with MS-Word 2007. I have used this combination for over a year now with a 98% success rate.

I have done this once before, but can't for the life of me work out how I solved the prob last time (approx one year ago): Being a bit of a slack typist I have just mis-keyed and hit some peculiar combination of keys which has now inserted yellow square into a line in my Word 2007 doc - I think I hit F10 - and this thing will now not let me quick clean my doc. It lets me do a quality check and this is deemed to be OK, but when I try to quick clean the doc to remove all of the source text and tags...

...this is the error message I get:

'A provisional segment bookmark is still present.'

I'm rather desperate, like everyone else here, I work to deadlines and now I can't do anything with this file.

Can anyone help me and tell me how to remove this foul yellow blot from my fair document?

Many, many, thanks in advance!

GS

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:55
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Quick solution Jan 12, 2010

In MS Word 2000 or 2003 you would go to Insert>Bookmark menu... I don't know where to look this option in the MS Office 2007.

You can try to close the current segment (choose "close translation" from the Wordfast menu) and place your cursor at the very beginning of the text and then press F10 - the first provisional segment will open. If all segments remain closed, then the problem is somewhere else...

Good luck!

Marcelina.

[Edited at 2010-01-12 20:58 GMT]

Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Go to a previous segment Jan 12, 2010

By pressing F10, you mark a segment as provisional. Use Alt+Up to go to a previous segment. When you do that, the purple mark disappears and your provisional segment turns into a normal translation unit (in my case the mark is purple, but I think the colour may vary depending on your settings).

[Edited at 2010-01-12 21:11 GMT]

GregorSamsa
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the prompt responses. Jan 13, 2010

Well I ended up last night carving up the document to lose the offending yellow square and cutting and pasting all of the text surrounding it.

In the light of both your contributions, Marcelina / Marina, I shall now go back and try to simulate the problem once again and see if I can deal with it in the ways you suggest. I've still no idea what a 'provisional segment bookmark' is. Still I've no idea what 'hydrolysed collagens' are either and my life seems none the poorer for that.

So many thanks once again.

Cheers, GS

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Wordfast F10 option Jan 13, 2010

I've still no idea what a 'provisional segment bookmark' is.

When you work with Wordfast Classic it's good to have this option - let's say you've got "hydrolysed collagens" in a segment and you don't know how to translate this term into German, but in general you're in a good mood for translation, so you decide to move on, not bothering about those mysterious collagens and to look for this term later or tomorrow. Wordfast provides you with F10 bookmark thing. You click F10, you move on and WF with a little help of bookmarks remembers what has not been completed, i.e. translated. It's even more useful when you translate big files and you don't want to or you can't simply look over the entire document searching for those collagens.icon_biggrin.gif

Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic: Kafka Jan 13, 2010

I was just visiting the forums and I couldn't help notice that your nickname is the name of Kafka's main character in his novella "The Metamorphosis". I bet you are a fan.

But we also have profile pictures of other famous characters such as George Clooney, so Proz.com is definitely open to creativity when it comes to nicknames and photos in profiles.icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Ivette (that is my real name, btwicon_wink.gif )

GregorSamsa
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Off-topic: Kafka Jan 13, 2010

Yes Ivette, been a big fan of Kafka right from when I studied him at school.

#1 His writings were always short. Perfect for the lazier variety of student. I like his short stories best of all.

#2 Plenty weird too which suited very much where I was at. Well it was the 70's...:-o

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

Jim - real name - hardly a mystery, I suppose, since my website address is on my profileicon_smile.gif

GregorSamsa
German to English
TOPIC STARTER

Thanks again Marcelina. I think I can see the point, but I like to 'quick clean' my document as I progress, probably every 500-1000 words or so just to avoid any possible problems with corrupted sections. Anything that stops me doing that isn't welcome. When there are things I don't 'get' first time around and want to come back to then I generally use another colour for the font of that word/section.

I still love WF though, I'm well into my second year of using it and can barely understand how I managed for so long without such a tool.

Cheers,

Jim

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...

I like to 'quick clean' my document as I progress, probably every 500-1000 words or so just to avoid any possible problems with corrupted sections. Anything that stops me doing that isn't welcome.

Corrupted sections? Do they happen regularly? Isn't it faster just to reorganise your TM and glossary every 500-1000 words ?

When there are things I don't 'get' first time around and want to come back to then I generally use another colour for the font of that word/section.

Yes, I used to proceed in the same way, but a fast click on F10 is much easier...icon_wink.gif
And then, it's much safer - Wordfast will simply not allow you to clean an incomplete file.
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, good luck, Jim!

Marcelina.

PS. Wordfast Classic is my favourite tool as well - I can't even remember me translating 4 or 5 years ago with no CAT tool at all.icon_biggrin.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! A 'provisional bookmark segment' has locked my doc. How do I remove it?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search