wordfast licence on Windows 7 invalid
Thread poster: NR_Stedman
NR_Stedman  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:28
French to English
Jan 13, 2010

I relicenced WF 2 years ago and updated to windows 7 last week with a reinstallation of WF.
Today WF has stopped working saying that my copy is unlicenced. The install number has changed.

After generating a new licence number on the WF website (for WF classic?) with the new install number, my WF copy still doesn't work.

Thanks for any help

Direct link Reply with quote

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:28
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
You may need to relicense Jan 13, 2010

Hi

Please contact the Wordfast support either per email or phone. You will get a prompt response.

It happened to me recently, and their reply was "You could use the licence as long as you did not change your system. But now as it has been changed, you need to renew your licence. To do so, log-in (wordfast.net > support > login) with your login email (...) and password (...). Click on 'Purchase a renewal' in order to be able to obtain a license number for your new install number."

Hope this helps.

Wenke

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Windows 7 Jan 13, 2010

NR_Stedman wrote:

I relicenced WF 2 years ago and updated to windows 7 last week with a reinstallation of WF.
Today WF has stopped working saying that my copy is unlicenced. The install number has changed.

After generating a new licence number on the WF website (for WF classic?) with the new install number, my WF copy still doesn't work.

Dear Stedman,

Could you please double-check that you enter the *currently shown* Install No. into our online licensing system to get the new License No.?

Then, as you run Windows 7, try to turn off the UAC during the licensing process. You can turn it on later.

(Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off -> (un-check) Use User Account Control) -> Re-start your computer.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Feedback request Jan 13, 2010

Dear "NR"

I'm following closely, as I'm planning to go through the same process this weekend.
I hope you will let us know whether Yasmin's suggestion was successful.

I suspect that, in Wenke's case, her licence was more than three years old and that that is why she needed to repurchase.

Good luck.

Russell

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Yasmin Jan 13, 2010

I followed Yasmins instructions and all is now operating OK! Thanks
NB: the licence doesn't work (i.e; you can't open target segments) until you have reorganized the TM
Also Russell this may be just a special case but I found that I couldn't get WF to work using the normal instruction of ticking the macro box: "disactivate all macros except those with a digital signature". I had to tick the "activate all macros" box. Oddly enough once I had got WF working I could then go back and change to the usual setting!!
PS my word version is in French so the macro instructions may be a bit different

United Kingdom
Italian to English
Good news Jan 13, 2010

Thank you for the feedback NR.

I don't yet use macros (though I intend to shortly) but could you clarify "until you have reorganized the TM" please?
I am a very basic WF user but "all my worldly translations" are saved in WF files.

I'd be grateful to hear what you mean by "reorganizing".

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
reorganizing TM Jan 13, 2010

Once you have entered the install numbers and licence number, click the "reorganise" button on the wordfast TM panel. Only then will WF work with the new licence number

PS also, normally you have to change the Word macro settings to use WF

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
for Russell Jan 13, 2010

You're already using a macro - WF *is* a macro, and to install it you may need to adjust macro security settings, see this recent thread http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/154763-cant_install_wordfast.html

As for "reorganizing", you will find that button when you click on the "F" button, it's on the very first "TM" tab, the 3rd button on the bottom. Sometimes you may need to reorganize your TM to sort out a problem. I usually reorganize before and after proofreading my documents, to make sure those "changed" segments get removed. You can also reorganize after merging two TMs, or after performing any kind of TM maintenance.

United Kingdom
Italian to English
Thanks Jan 13, 2010

Thanks Lori

Although I renewed my license 2 years ago, downloading the upgraded version defeated me (I am not very computer literate in some areas and depend on my IT consultant son - but he now lives across the pond in Chicago) so I guess I'm using an ancient version and can't recognise your specific instructions.

However, I've found "Reorganise" under TMs and Service, so I shall hope that gets me out of trouble if necessary.

Russell

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:28
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Go figure Jan 13, 2010

Wordfast's license scheme seems to be the most unfair. 3 years and then you have to relicense? And you have to constantly send e-mails for new licenses in case you run out of them? Sorry, but that's just bad practice.

They should do it the way Kilgray have done it: you own the product for life, but you can only get free upgrades (and updates, of course) for a period of 3 years. That's far better value for the customer.

[Edited at 2010-01-13 15:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast licence on Windows 7 invalid

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search