https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/155143-mac_directory_wf_workspace_path_for_hunspell.html

Mac- directory .wf_workspace - path for Hunspell
Thread poster: Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:12
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2010

Hello,
I cannot find this folder in my users' dir on Mac, despite the fact I did install several dictionaries, but where?

My question derives from the fact that I don't use Wf 6 yet, but Classic on PC. However, I'd like to activate this 6-version on Mac, considering it the future of WF and want to start correctly, otherwise this CAT stands and occupy the space.

Or this dir will activate it, once I create a first project?

I've noticed another, unfinish
... See more
Hello,
I cannot find this folder in my users' dir on Mac, despite the fact I did install several dictionaries, but where?

My question derives from the fact that I don't use Wf 6 yet, but Classic on PC. However, I'd like to activate this 6-version on Mac, considering it the future of WF and want to start correctly, otherwise this CAT stands and occupy the space.

Or this dir will activate it, once I create a first project?

I've noticed another, unfinished thread about this path, and, thought it might be better to renew it.

Thanks in advance, D.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
.wf_workspace is a hidden folder on Mac Jan 14, 2010

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:
I cannot find this folder in my users' dir on Mac

Dear Dragomir,

I am not sure what you want to do exactly. But here is the answer to your question about .wf_workspace on Mac:

You can find the .wf_workspace folder under the following path:

Users/(your user name)/

Mac OS X automatically hides any folder that begins with a period. Actually, .wf_workspace starts with a period. You can use "Finder" to get into it:

I hope these links will help:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/17/secure-your-mac-crouching-user-hidden-folder/

http://www.codejacked.com/osx-finder-hidden-files/

http://www.codejacked.com/view-hidden-folders-in-mac-osx-finder/

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Dragomir Kovacevic
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hidden folder not for Hunspell, but for Project as well? Jan 14, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Mac OS X automatically hides any folder that begins with a period. Actually, .wf_workspace starts with a period. You can use "Finder" to get into it:

Thank you Yasmin, I know about hidden folders on Mac, but, in case you had occasion to see all the environment on Mac with hidden folders enabled for view, you might find all the salad, very unpleasant for viewing.

More than just a fact about hidden Hunspell folder, project folders are also hidden under an identical folder type: .xxx.

My initial question about the Hunspell dir pointed into a motivation to try to install additional dictionaries.

So now I have to expect that my projects' folder management will continue under another hidden folder, with my files for translation, hidden?

Initial menu Wordfast-Preferences on Mac is not active. I did purchase this software, but it behaves like a demo.

Exclamation marks for astonishment are omitted.

Dragomir

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
You do not need the hidden files Jan 14, 2010

Dear Dragomir,

I know about hidden folders on Mac, but, in case you had occasion to see all the environment on Mac with hidden folders enabled for view, you might find all the salad, very unpleasant for viewing.

There is no use for that, unless you would like to *completely* remove Wordfast getting rid of all its traces. I was just answering your question.

My initial question about the Hunspell dir pointed into a motivation to try to install additional dictionaries.

What are those additional dictionaries? For which languages? There are several dictionaries that are available under "Help" menu > "Wordfast Updates" > "Dictionaries".

So now I have to expect that my projects' folder management will continue under another hidden folder, with my files for translation, hidden?

Again, there is no use in searching the hidden folders. You just need your TXML files as well as your TMs and glossaries all of which can be saved and/or exported into locations determined by the user (using the WFP interface itself).

Initial menu Wordfast-Preferences on Mac is not active.

Could you please try updating the Java.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Dragomir Kovacevic
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
understood your instruction, Yasmin, but... Jan 14, 2010

... what could be the real reason to create internal Wf files on Mac, in hidden, system folders? (My motivation for this answer is in the 2nd paragrah on Hunspell). Yes, I did a few test project some months ago, and quit after having seen my TM-s eaten by the software, to zero. Ok, that passed, I do hope.

As for Hunspell dictionaries, could your people grasp a fact that my Serbian language is written in two alternative alphabets, latin and cyrillic, while you IT people seated in cu
... See more
... what could be the real reason to create internal Wf files on Mac, in hidden, system folders? (My motivation for this answer is in the 2nd paragrah on Hunspell). Yes, I did a few test project some months ago, and quit after having seen my TM-s eaten by the software, to zero. Ok, that passed, I do hope.

As for Hunspell dictionaries, could your people grasp a fact that my Serbian language is written in two alternative alphabets, latin and cyrillic, while you IT people seated in cubicles, from search engine companies onwards, and on whole so called "Internet", want an unique, technically uniform treatment of the said language and dedicate to it cyrillic alphabet only (it is your right), while another current, like wise boys in OOo project struggled and succeed to produce OOo suite in cyr and latin, alternatively, producing a continuation of Serbian dictionary in both alphabets (old continuing project), where the latin one is called like SH-Yu or similar, and simply means Serbian-writing in latin alphabet, or what you Wf people used to nominate in Wf Classic, as SH-01, okay? SH-01.

Since I do not seem to have a Serbian latin alphabet dic in Wf Pro, my idea was to put fingers into Wf Pro, in order to enable some Hunspell independent dic. But, folders are hidden, they are system folders.

The above is the response to your question what on earth I'd request a dic and which one.

And since Wf Pro Preferences on my Mac Tiger OS-X 10.4.11, continue not working, might it be another confirmation that application support for Apple systems holds water just a very few years, like we, users of Mac, keep noticing? A great pity. Wf Pro made only for Leopard?

Yes, My JRE on my Mac is up to date. Apple does not install whatever kind of Java or other plug-ins before serious verification, and we were testimonies of various adventures in JRE, now and then. As well as we are aware of a fact that the same SUN people use only SR for cyrillic serbian language, without any chance for Serbian latin, or, put it in Wf Classic terms: SH-01. For the sake of practicability of usage for us translators.

Sorry, but the paths of software are so utterly unknown, and much less in the hands of the final users, demo versions offer much less than a physical touch on a vegetable in a supermarket does, so, that's it how people start thinking about softwares, specially when a fully paid and apparently functional version fails to fulfil.

Thank you and best regards, Dragomir

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Could you please try updating the Java.

[Edited at 2010-01-14 19:49 GMT]
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Serbian latin alphabet dic in Wf Pro Jan 22, 2010

Since I do not seem to have a Serbian latin alphabet dic in Wf Pro, my idea was to put fingers into Wf Pro, in order to enable some Hunspell independent dic. But, folders are hidden, they are system folders.

So this is the missing dictionary? Is there any open-source project you can refer me to?

As for your other problem of the menu, could you please send us a screenshot.

Thanks for your invaluable feedback.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Dragomir Kovacevic
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sh dictionary (sr latin) for Wf Pro Jan 22, 2010

Yasmin,

Serbian is written, depending on territory, in 2 alphabets; "sr" in Wf Pro already covers Serbian in Cyrillic, while what many translators for Serbian keep using for practical reasons during typing (with final conversion into Cyrillics as a final touch), is marked as "sh", Serbian Latin2 alphabet (ISO 8859-2, or Win equivalent encoding).

Otherwise, translators would be penalized and discouraged for not being in position to perform spelling corrections for Serbia
... See more
Yasmin,

Serbian is written, depending on territory, in 2 alphabets; "sr" in Wf Pro already covers Serbian in Cyrillic, while what many translators for Serbian keep using for practical reasons during typing (with final conversion into Cyrillics as a final touch), is marked as "sh", Serbian Latin2 alphabet (ISO 8859-2, or Win equivalent encoding).

Otherwise, translators would be penalized and discouraged for not being in position to perform spelling corrections for Serbian in latin chars, since the said language variant differs slightly from Croatian (HR), the one they would most probably have to use for Serbian Latin alphabet, but with inevitable wrong proposals.

The said "sh" dic exists normally in OOo dictionary list (packed together with "sr", though", but downloadable as well for Mozzila & Thunderbird applications. For Opera web browser, as well, under the localized name: Srpskohrvatski.
As you already understood, it will be more than possible to adopt the "sh" dic into the downloadable list for Wf Pro, with the name Serbian Latin. That is how it appears in OpenOffice panes. So, as it is a well known packet, it won't be difficult at all to adopt it.

As for the screenshot of stuck Wordfast-About Wordfast & Preferences Menu, I am about to send it to the address you procured, and thank you v.m. for your understanding.

Dragomir

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

So this is the missing dictionary? Is there any open-source project you can refer me to?

As for your other problem of the menu, could you please send us a screenshot to the following email address:

support ## wordfast.com

Thanks for your invaluable feedback.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2010-01-22 21:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-22 21:12 GMT]
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Thanks! Jan 25, 2010

Dear Dragomir,

Many thanks for your explanations. They have been already communicated to the development team.

As for the screenshot of stuck Wordfast-About Wordfast & Preferences Menu, I am about to send it to the address you procured, and thank you v.m. for your understanding.

Many thanks, but we have not received it so far.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
No "Wordfast" menu! Feb 2, 2010

Dear Dragomir,

I have not received the screeshot from you. But I received one from another Mac user and I got you and her described.

If you can see a menu labelled Wordfast, please ignore it. It is not an official menu; it is something related to Mac only. Those options are functional on other menus; most importantly:

About Wordfast > "Help" menu
Preferences > "Edit" menu

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net [/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac- directory .wf_workspace - path for Hunspell

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »