how to untag a Word document
Thread poster: Teresa Valaer

Teresa Valaer  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:44
Member (2006)
Italian to English
Jan 14, 2010

I just started using Wordfast. After translating in a *doc. formatted with a Table of Contents, Figures and Tables, I cleaned it up. WF popped me a window telling me the document had not been tagged yet (?) and did I want them to tag it. I thought it would not do any harm so I consented. And boy was I wrong. It made the style all plain Courier and won't even allow me to copy and paste paragraphs into the original Italian formatted file having Georgia and Helvetic font.

Basically my question is:
How do I get the Word document untagged and back to its original style and format?

Thank you in advance for any clues.
Teresa

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
previously saved copy? Jan 14, 2010

If you have a previously saved copy of the file (even partially translated), you might want to go back to that file and just start over. All your translations should be saved in the TM, so it won't take you long at all to auto-translate everything again. At the worst, fall back on a copy of your original source file and auto-translate from the beginning.

It's always a good idea to make extra copies of your working file, so you have something to go back to if things go wrong (happens to all of us once in a while!)

I can't think of any other way to get all your styles/formatting back, except the manual way. I guess the manual way would involve cleaning up, and then saving the file as plain text to get rid of the tag formatting. Then you'd have to re-create all your formatting manually, as well as the TOC, which might take a long time depending on how long the file is.

Be sure to read the instructions on how to handle the TOC, if you haven't already.

Teresa Valaer  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
with much gratitude Jan 14, 2010

Thank you ever so much! I will retranslate like you said, because it is all in the TM now. Thanks again. Cheers. Teresa

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
bak file? Jan 14, 2010

Lori's recipe will certainly work -- but there is one more thing that is well worth checking.
When you clean up the document, and save right after the cleanup step, Wordfast saves the bilingual file with a .bak extension.
Open it using Word (or consider renaming it by changing "bak" to "doc") -- you can then perform the cleanup step again (without applying tagging).

Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to untag a Word document

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search