Lookup function provides too many results
Thread poster: xxxsardiniangir
xxxsardiniangir
Italy
Local time: 01:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2010

I usually connect to different TMs but this happen even if I use only one TM.
This is unmanageable when I look for an acronym or a word with very few letters. I unlock the acronym/word in the source and press ctrl+alt+L (or click on icon), and every word that has those two or three letters will appear in the lookup window. I get so many results that I proceed more quickly using any internet searching engine.
I tried highlighting the acronym/word including the spaces before and after the word but it does not make a difference.
Does anyone know what could be done?
Thanks so much!
I have the latest version of Wordfast and I have Vista and Microsoft office 2007.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Quotes Jan 25, 2010

sardiniangirl wrote:

This is unmanageable when I look for an acronym or a word with very few letters. I unlock the acronym/word in the source and press ctrl+alt+L (or click on icon), and every word that has those two or three letters will appear in the lookup window.

Apparently, you are using Wordfast Pro, right?

First of all, please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Again, inserting a phrase between two quotes "" in the TM Lookup textbox can help you get results of the "exact phrase" only.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

xxxsardiniangir
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
resolved Jan 25, 2010

thank you Yasmin. I used to simply highlight the source and pressing the shortcut keys. I see that placing the word in the lookup window within quotes "" does show only the exact word. It's a bit laborious but it works.
Chees
Martina

xxxsardiniangir
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
version 2.4.0.1 in Mac look up with " does not work Dec 3, 2010

I had to change machine, from PC to Mac.
When I insert two "source words" for a TM lookup, I always get the no results found window, even though I know there are perfect matches. Without "" it works fine, but I get, as expected, too many results.
Is this a bug occurring only in Macs?
Thanks

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Case Dec 5, 2010

sardiniangirl wrote:

I had to change machine, from PC to Mac.
When I insert two "source words" for a TM lookup, I always get the no results found window, even though I know there are perfect matches. Without "" it works fine, but I get, as expected, too many results.

Please remember that TM Lookup is case-sensitive.

Also, try to have word+word (separated by a plus only) rather than the quote. This is another way for limiting the number of results; this means that both words should be in the segment.

But be sure that you do NOT have both "plus" and "quotes"; this will give you no result at all.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lookup function provides too many results

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search