Wordfast Classic 5 (OS Windows XP - MS Word 2003)
Thread poster: Isabel Conde

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2010

I downloaded the Free Trial Wordfast Classic 5 and the manual for beginners, which I am following. Everything was fine until I attempted to put my language pairs.
I set the default EN-US as my source language, but apparently, it doesn't appear any spot to set the target language, and the manual doesn't specify it. When I set it all together in the same space provided, the obvious result is EN-US for the source language and for the target one as well.

The directions I am looking at are in page 6 of the Training Manual -Beginner level.

I downloaded the Across CAT Tool before (and I still have it installed) and together with that came the Unicode for Eastern Languages. I don't think it can interfere with these settings, but I wanted to mention that just in case it could.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Isabel Conde

Direct link Reply with quote

cmrawal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:56
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Enter the target language code by overwriting the source language code when prompted Jan 26, 2010

Hello,

When you click on the Wordfast icon, you get two options, Select TM and New TM. You have to click on the box, New TM. While creating the New TM, you should first enter the Source Language code (e.g. EN-US) when asked to 'Click OK now to provide a language'. After you enter the source language code (e.g. EN-US), you again have to click OK. When you do so, you are prompted to enter the target language code in the box which contains the already entered Source Language code (e.g. EN-US). At this point you have to enter the target language code in this box by overwriting the source language code already existing on being prompted to enter the target language code. After entering the desired target language code and clicking OK, you would be prompted to name and save the TM.

I hope it helps.

C.M. Rawal

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Classic 5 Jan 26, 2010

I am very grateful, C.M. Rawal. I did it and it worked.

Many thanks again,

Argee01

anhhang
Local time: 16:26
How to enrich TM in Wordfast with any documents translated? Jan 28, 2010

Hi all,
Im a new wordfast classic user. Im wondering whether it is possible to enable a translated document ( not with Wordfast) to become a TM file which can be used with Wordfast? Because, formerly, I Translated a lot of documents without Wordfast, if it is impossible to transfer these documents into TM file, it is a pity! I know it is ok if I re-translate all these documents with Wordfast, but, you imagine, how much months or years for me to re-enter all translated documents into Wordfast to have new TM???
So, any help is welcome and Im very grateful! Thanks in advance!

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:26
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
How to enrich TM in Wordfast with any documents translated? Jan 28, 2010

There are so-called tm-alligners, one of them is present in:

PlusTools, which is a very suitable freeware companion of Wordast Classic. All the alligners work mostly on sentence basis; a tm produced in that way is most suitable, since in a CAT, most of us translate text segmented to phrases. The format is txt tm, ready for Wordfast.

However, you might try for simplicity reasons, to make your own TM-s, on paragraph level, which is a manual job, and easy to accomplish. Take source and target file(s), and paste each of them into an Excel column (paste special-unformatted). Save as CSV file, utf-8 encoded.
Take CSV converter from Max programs pack (http://www.maxprograms.com), and create a TM in TMX format, let's say in TMX 1.4. level, specifying of course source and target language.
Open the TMX tm in MS word, and replace segtype="block", into segtype="paragraph". You might even try not to replace the attribute, try.
The said TM-s in TMX format are not ready for use in Wordfast, but are a good starting point for it, and for many other CAT-s.
You can transform TMX into Wf text TM with another tool, Wf2Tmx-1.0.11.37 (available in file dir of Wordfast yahoo mailing list).

Do make some testings, be patient and careful; afterwards, you'll gain practice in order to convert files on large scale.

Inform, for the sake of community.

Don't forget an important element of your work: glossaries. They are much more important than TM-s. It is easy to translate verbs, starting from auxiliary ones, etc. The glossaries are the real richness of a translator. You might even consider skipping allignement of your previous translations, and think to create as much glossaries you can, divided by specialities. Your old translations can always be placed in Wordfast reference dir, where it will search for terminology, something similar to search function in your OS.

Dragomir

anhhang wrote:

Hi all,
Im a new wordfast classic user. Im wondering whether it is possible to enable a translated document ( not with Wordfast) to become a TM file which can be used with Wordfast? Because, formerly, I Translated a lot of documents without Wordfast, if it is impossible to transfer these documents into TM file, it is a pity! I know it is ok if I re-translate all these documents with Wordfast, but, you imagine, how much months or years for me to re-enter all translated documents into Wordfast to have new TM???
So, any help is welcome and Im very grateful! Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2010-01-28 14:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-28 14:58 GMT]

anhhang
Thank you very much! Jan 28, 2010

many thanks for your prompt reply. I find your instructions quite difficult to follow at first. But I surely try it right now. Cheers,

[Edited at 2010-01-28 16:10 GMT]

anhhang
Thank you very much! Jan 28, 2010

Thank Dragomir Kovacevic vey much for your prompt reply. I will try it right now. Cheers,

anhhang
Many TM in use at the same time? Jan 29, 2010

Dragomir Said:
However, you might try for simplicity reasons, to make your own TM-s, on paragraph level, which is a manual job, and easy to accomplish. Take source and target file(s), and paste each of them into an Excel column (paste special-unformatted). Save as CSV file, utf-8 encoded.
Take CSV converter from Max programs pack (http://www.maxprograms.com), and create a TM in TMX format, let's say in TMX 1.4. level, specifying of course source and target language.
Open the TMX tm in MS word, and replace segtype="block", into segtype="paragraph". You might even try not to replace the attribute, try.
The said TM-s in TMX format are not ready for use in Wordfast, but are a good starting point for it, and for many other CAT-s.
You can transform TMX into Wf text TM with another tool, Wf2Tmx-1.0.11.37 (available in file dir of Wordfast yahoo mailing list).

Your instructions are very confusing to me, I cant follow them. If possible, could you give me step-by-step process? Thanks!
one more point Iam always wondering is that whether we can use all TMs at the same time or not? if yes, how? Because normally, a TM belongs to a field: environment, economy, politics etc, but a document does not necessarily belong to a particular field like those. a document in the field of economy can also mention environment. If all TMs can not be in use simultaneously, many sentences are not re-used in translating although it is a 100% match.
plz help me! my thank once again!

[Edited at 2010-01-29 09:04 GMT]

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Start with PlusTools, for sentence alignment... Jan 29, 2010

anhhang wrote:

Your instructions are very confusing to me, I cant follow them. If possible, could you give me step-by-step process? Thanks!

Not at all, anhang. There are various matters there. Start with PlusTools, for sentence alignment. It is a freeware made by the same company, Worfdast.

Since you'd need speed in converting your old translations, I suggested you, afterwards, to go to paragraph segmentation, manually. Paragraphs are those original ones, from your translations, okay?

one more point Iam always wondering is that whether we can use all TMs at the same time or not? if yes, how?

Seems you did not read the Manual. In the Wf Classic interface, two TM-s are linked actively. All other TM-s in your TM repository, will be searchable through a supplementary function of "references" and "concordances". If you don't point Wf to look into TM repository, it won't search anything, neither your newest translations made in Wf, but will only use 2 actively linked TM-s: TM and BTM.

Because normally, a TM belongs to a field: environment, economy, politics etc, but a document does not necessarily belong to a particular field like those. a document in the field of economy can also mention environment. If all TMs can not be in use simultaneously, many sentences are not re-used in translating although it is a 100% match.

You can try to divide your previous translations into very large and generic categories, like these:
general, legal
food, agriculture
tech
itech (information technology)
med (health, medicine, pharmaceutical, dentistry)

then you can make some TM-s from them and give them names like these:

en-vi_general.txt
en-vi_tech.txt

Wordfast TM gives several extra fields in it. So, besides giving these category names, you can and should use the fields for each particular TM (not BTM), that you work with: eg.: client' name, file name, subject. A subject can be pharmacy, while the TM will be called: en-vi_med_subject.txt. The description "pharmaceutical" will be inserted in TM segments. This feature can be very extensively used for Glossaries, as well.

-----

I also suggested you to forget TM creation, and focus yourself just on glossaries. It is unwise now for you, to loose your time in TM creation out of archives, while being a beginner with CAT-s.

Dragomir

[Edited at 2010-01-29 14:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-29 14:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-29 14:21 GMT]

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Workflow in Wordfast anywhere Feb 3, 2010

argee01 wrote:

Thank you in advance for your help,

Isabel Conde

Dear Isabel,

I add after one week my entry and the greeting.

Here is a short presentation of Wordfast anywhere, free on-line tool.

Workflow in Wordfast anywhere v 1.0.5.

http://www.condak.net/wfa/20100126/cs/00.html

Cheers,

Milan Condak

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic 5 (OS Windows XP - MS Word 2003)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search