Problem with single-byte chars in source text
Thread poster: Douglas Burbury
Douglas Burbury
Local time: 07:36
Japanese to English
Jan 27, 2010

I am using Wordfast 5.21K in Word 2003.

I am having a problem with source text in Japanese which is being skipped over completely by Wordfast. The text being skipped always has at least one single-byte numeral interspersed in the text (which is otherwise double-byte Japanese text).

It's a new problem and I have no idea what is causing it to happen. It did not happen previously with this licensed version. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, including:

- Turning off the untranslateable attributes (I use double strikeout) - even though the problem text isn't marked as untranslateable;
- Creating a fresh TM and using it;
- Using the Language feature in Word to manually set the language of the text.

Nothing works.

If I edit out the single-byte characters before translating the text, Wordfast has no problem in recognising it.

The language pair codes for the TM are JA-01 --> EN-US. I've used Wordfast for several years now and have built up a number of TMs using these language pair codes, with no problem. The problem has only stared happening recently and I have no idea what has caused it to manifest itself

Does anyone have any suggestion as as to what's going on here?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:36
English to Arabic
Suggestions Jan 29, 2010

Dear Douglas,

Douglas Burbury wrote:

I am having a problem with source text in Japanese which is being skipped over completely by Wordfast. The text being skipped always has at least one single-byte numeral interspersed in the text (which is otherwise double-byte Japanese text).

I suggest the following:

- Setup > PB (Commands) > SegmentAll (activate this option by removing the underscore).

It that does not help:
- You can simply select the text that refuses to be segmented and press (Shift+Alt+Down) instead of (Alt+Down) to force segmentation.

Douglas Burbury wrote:

I am using Wordfast 5.21K.

Please download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic available at:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

I am not sure if it is relevant here, but it is highly recommended.

HTH,
Yasmin

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with single-byte chars in source text

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search