WordFast Pro: After analyzing the file, the translated segments disappear
Thread poster: treiko
treiko
treiko
United States
Local time: 09:19
English to Japanese
Feb 2, 2010

I am translating the .txml document that was prepped from Word, with WF Pro 2.2.4.

I spent several hours translating, then analyzed the document from 'Translation Memory' menu, saved and closed the document.

When I opened it again, all the translated segments were gone!! It created a file called 'fuzzy.log' in the same directory as the working file and this contains all the segments I translated. But they were all stripped off from .txml file itself. Why is it doing tha
... See more
I am translating the .txml document that was prepped from Word, with WF Pro 2.2.4.

I spent several hours translating, then analyzed the document from 'Translation Memory' menu, saved and closed the document.

When I opened it again, all the translated segments were gone!! It created a file called 'fuzzy.log' in the same directory as the working file and this contains all the segments I translated. But they were all stripped off from .txml file itself. Why is it doing that?

I created a copy of working file and tried the same actions over and over (= insert translation, run analysis, save and close), and it does the same thing every time. It seems to only happen to this project.

Also, when I re-open the file (with segments disappeared) and try 'Translate to Fuzzy' or 'Current segment leverage', NONE of the segments I translated are coming up, though when I do Context search with either a piece of paragraph or even entire paragraph, ALL of them are in the TM and they come up fine under Context Window. So I am having to manually copy them over in the TXML editor again and again.

I am losing a lot of time because of this.
Could someone give me a hand for solution, please? Thank you.

[Edited at 2010-02-02 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:19
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Same here Feb 2, 2010

I have had a similar experience several times with no apparent pattern and without having analyzed the file.

Sometimes, when I resume work on a partially translated file (i.e. re-open WF Pro and then the file), all the translated segment are gone. And when I retranslate them from the TM, I find that some of the segments have disappeared entirely from the TM and have to be retranslated from (my own, human) memory.

At first, I thought I was doing something wrong to make
... See more
I have had a similar experience several times with no apparent pattern and without having analyzed the file.

Sometimes, when I resume work on a partially translated file (i.e. re-open WF Pro and then the file), all the translated segment are gone. And when I retranslate them from the TM, I find that some of the segments have disappeared entirely from the TM and have to be retranslated from (my own, human) memory.

At first, I thought I was doing something wrong to make this happen, but I can't really see what it could be.

Any ideas?
Collapse

treiko
treiko
United States
Local time: 09:19
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Same here Feb 3, 2010

hi Anna,
Thank you for your message. Yes, this mysterious disappearance has happened to me few times in the past (where I close the .txml and some segments are gone when I re-opened the file, and that time the segments weren't even registered in the TM.). I've talked to other translators and few had the same experience, too.

Also, previously I was always losing few segments here and there randomly, and never could find any pattern and never could reproduce it. This was the fi
... See more
hi Anna,
Thank you for your message. Yes, this mysterious disappearance has happened to me few times in the past (where I close the .txml and some segments are gone when I re-opened the file, and that time the segments weren't even registered in the TM.). I've talked to other translators and few had the same experience, too.

Also, previously I was always losing few segments here and there randomly, and never could find any pattern and never could reproduce it. This was the first time I lost the entire segments and could actually reproduce the problem. Hopefully WF support team could help me out on this,,,

If anyone else has the same experience and could share it with us, that'd be great.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:19
English to Arabic
need to see that Feb 3, 2010

Dear treiko,

Please send the same issue description (referring to this thread).

Also, please enclose the problematic TXML file, the original source file, the TM file, and the 'fuzzy.log' to be able to investigate the issue.

Thanks in advance!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Pro: After analyzing the file, the translated segments disappear

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »