Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2003

Hello WordFast users. Any help on this problem will be appreciated. Here it is:

I have a highly repetitive text over about 10 files. I must translate each source paragraph immediately below it in the target language. The target text must be in red, rather than in the original blue. How do I do this with WordFast?

Edward

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:42
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Try the WF YahooGroup ..... Nov 10, 2003

Hello,
I would try the Wordfast YahooGroup....
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/
Good luck,
Natália

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
colors Nov 10, 2003

Hi,
I'm not sure what you mean by "the original blue", but you can change the color settings in WF.
First to go "Setup" and then the "Col" tab. Set the target segment to "red" (for all the segments, fuzzy or otherwise).
After that, to keep the colors after you clean up, go to the "P.B." tab (Pandora's box) and remove the underscore from "Leave_Colors". That will leave the colors just as they are in the segmented version.
Hope this is what you're after!

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Also convert text to table Nov 10, 2003

Edward Potter wrote:

I must translate each source paragraph immediately below it in the target language.

How do I do this with WordFast?

Edward

To get the layout right you should make a copy of your source file and translate it using the colour settings mentioned above.

Next I'd use Word to convert both the source text and the translated text to tables (choosing paragraph mark as the separator).

Paste these side by side to get a 2-column table, and check that they are correctly aligned.

Finally select this table and convert back to text, again using paragraph mark as the separator, and you should have the interspersed paragraphs you need.

Hope it works - Deborah

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
English to French
How to... Nov 10, 2003

Edward Potter wrote:

Hello WordFast users. Any help on this problem will be appreciated. Here it is:

I have a highly repetitive text over about 10 files. I must translate each source paragraph immediately below it in the target language. The target text must be in red, rather than in the original blue. How do I do this with WordFast?

Edward

For the target color, that's real easy:

Open Wordfast's dialog, go to setup, "col" tab, and set all target text to "red". Go to PB and activate "leavecolors". That's it.

Now for the paragraph thing, there are 2 approaches:
1. Make wordfast segment at paragraph level. (Set-up/Segs and remove all ESP - end of segment punctuation). I do not recommend this because, of course, paragraphs are much less redundant then sentences, but anyway, it would work.
2. Don't bother with that requirement for now. Just translate as usual and clean the text. In most cases, a translation has the same number and sequence of paragraphs as the original.

Open your source document and turn it into a 1 column table, using the paragraph mark (see www.your-translations.com for explanations on how to do that). If the text was properly formated, each paragraph ends with one (1) paragraph mark and paragraph marks are not used anywhere else. If that is not the case, you have to correct the formating before converting to table.

Add one column on the right. Copy and paste your translation in that column. Quickly correct any alignment problem so that the proper source and target paragraphs face each other. Things seldom work out perfect automatically, but in case of paragraphs, that should be pretty quick to handle.

Now, convert it back to text, using paragraph marks to separate the columns. That's it.

Actually, since you have to manipulate the target text alone, you could easily translate thend apply the red color to your translation (saves you 3 click compared to the previous method)

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Another solution Nov 11, 2003

I have the same problem. You can also make your translation (with or without Wordfast, as usual), change the color in the translation, clean it up and then paste the translated paragraphs back in the source text.

[Edited at 2003-11-12 08:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating paragraph by paragraph in a different color with Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »