Can I put italicized entries in the WF glossary?
Thread poster: Chris Lovelace

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:37
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

I am working on a Russian>English document that cites a number of long literary titles. I would like to simply make the Russian titles glossary entries to save considerable typing. Since the target terms are italicized in English, is there any way to make the glossary entries italicized?

Example: Козы-Корпеш - Баян-Сулу > Kozy Korpesh and Baian Sulu.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:37
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS - Windows XP, MSWord 2002 Feb 5, 2010

Forgot to add:

I am running Windows XP and MS Word 2002.

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 16:37
French to Dutch
+ ...
No Feb 5, 2010

A glossary is always in .txt, and therefore without formatting.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No Feb 5, 2010

The glossary is a txt file, so all such formatting is lost. You will have to italicize the glossary terms after they have been inserted into the the file.
If you have a few titles that occur many times, you may consider creating a short macro that italicizes those terms.

Attila

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Simple solution for you Feb 5, 2010

Chris Lovelace wrote:
I am working on a Russian>English document that cites a number of long literary titles. I would like to simply make the Russian titles glossary entries to save considerable typing. Since the target terms are italicized in English, is there any way to make the glossary entries italicized?

No, but here is a little workaround. Put this in your glossary:

source: Козы-Корпеш - Баян-Сулу
target: [Kozy Korpesh and Baian Sulu]

When you insert a glossary item, it will have those brackets on either side. Then, when you're done with the entire translation, use Find/Replace to remove the brackets and change the text to italics:

Find what: (\[)(*)(\])
Replace with: \2
Wildcards: yes

Click "More", then put your cursor in the "Replace" field, and choose Format > Font > Italics (or something like that). Then do Replace all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I put italicized entries in the WF glossary?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search