KatjaSan  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:24
Member (2009)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Feb 9, 2010

Hi everyone,

Now, I know my problem sounds peculiar, but I'm at a complete loss here and was hoping maybe someone could help me.

I've avoided using WF Pro pretty successfully up until now (and preferred the Classic WF instead), but have now been asked by a client to complete a translation using this tool. I decided to give it a try and create a test project with the file the client provided. I created a TM etc and everything went fine. Well, I was not able to clean up the file after entering a couple of segments as a test, but decided I'd deal with that later.

When I went back to my ongoing translation project, in the same language pair, I realised that testing the PRO seems to have erased all the entries from my existing TM in this pair! All the 7,000+ TU's were gone! And I can't find them anywhere! Sure, I can re-clean up all the UC files from the past year, but I was hoping there would be an easier solution, or - at least - that someone could reassure me it was not the WF Pro that did this? (If it wasn't, I don't know what it was)

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or have any suggestions on what I could do?

Thank you in advance,

Katja

Direct link Reply with quote

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 06:24
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Export to .tmx and import to a new TM? Feb 9, 2010

I have never used Classic, so I don't know whether there would be an incompatibility issue with regard to Pro, but I would test it by opening Classic and exporting your TMs (provided you can still find them here, of course) to tmx format, and then importing them to newly created TMs in Pro.

Just a suggestion.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Common Mistake Feb 9, 2010

Dear Katja,

When you open a TM in a project:

1- make sure that the project is with the same (exact) language pair.
2- go to "Translation Memory" menu > "New/Select TM" > "Open".

It is a common mistake that users use the "New" button to "open" a TM. Simply, Wordfast Pro will overwrite it. "New" is only for creating a brand new "empty" TM. But for opening an existing TM, you should use "Open".

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Finland
Member (2009)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gone for good, then? Feb 9, 2010

Thanks.

So this means the Pro has overwritten my old TM and replaced the 7,000 or so TUs with four new ones? That's really convenient.. and makes my life so much easier, which is what I wanted from a CAT in the first place...

Sorry, I'm just a bit frustrated.

Katja

Evelyne Antinoro  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Backup file? Feb 9, 2010

Hi Katja
it happened me too.
But I had a backup file:-)
Don't you have one?

Regards,
Evelyne

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
When you test... Feb 9, 2010

KatjaSan wrote:
So this means the Pro has overwritten my old TM and replaced the 7,000 or so TUs with four new ones? That's really convenient.. and makes my life so much easier, which is what I wanted from a CAT in the first place...

Sorry, I'm just a bit frustrated.

Dear Katja,

I understand your frustration. But as you can see it is not Wordfast's fault.

Maybe it is a good lesson for all of us: it is not recommended to learn something new using our old resources as we may commit many mistakes. Working on copies (as Evelyne suggested) or test files is much better.

Still, as you said cleaning up your old files can help you restore your TM shortly.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Finland
Member (2009)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A lesson learned! Feb 9, 2010

I know it's nobody's fault but my own (and this surely adds to the frustration )

I luckily did have a backup file which contains about 75% of the original TM, so it will only take me a couple of hours to do update the TM.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really encourage me to take on WF Pro as my preferred CAT - but that will surely change after I take the course I've been meaning to enroll on for the past six months (and now I'm really motivated )

And I surely hope someone finds this thread helpful and doesn't commit the same mistake I did! READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, KIDS!

Thank you everyone for your help and my apologies for being a bit snappy!

Katja

Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
.bak file in directory with your WF TM Feb 9, 2010

Hi Katja,

Have you tried looking in the directory where your TM is stored? There should be a .bak file with the same name as your TM. I think you should be able to use it after renaming it as a txt file. Mine is dated about a week earlier than my TM.

I hope this works!

Regards,
Alma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help/Wordfast Pro empties existing WF TM's

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search