https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/157520-wfp_updating_tm_after_modifications_in_word.html

WFP, updating TM after modifications in Word
Thread poster: Joy Gehner
Joy Gehner
Joy Gehner
United States
Local time: 18:37
French to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2010

Hi all -

I am a new TM software user, new WFP user, on Mac with Office 08 (so it's incompatible with WFC).

After translation in WF, I always do a reread in Word and often make some changes to the final document. What is the easiest way to reintegrate these changes in the corresponding TM?

Thanks in advance for the help. Please keep in mind my newbie cluelessness if possible, in your answers

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:37
French to English
Manually Feb 9, 2010

Hi Joy,

That's a valid question - it's important to update a TM, especially if you have to send it back to your client, or if you expect to get recurring work from the same client/same subject.

I can think of at least 3 ways to get an updated TM:

1) Go back to the txml file after doing your polishing in Word, find the segments you changed & make the changes again so they will be included in the TM. I don't have much experience with WFP, so I'm not sure how
... See more
Hi Joy,

That's a valid question - it's important to update a TM, especially if you have to send it back to your client, or if you expect to get recurring work from the same client/same subject.

I can think of at least 3 ways to get an updated TM:

1) Go back to the txml file after doing your polishing in Word, find the segments you changed & make the changes again so they will be included in the TM. I don't have much experience with WFP, so I'm not sure how exactly to go about returning to the txml file after having saved the translated file, but surely it's possible to do.

2) Do all your polishing in Wordfast so you don't have to do it twice.

3) Create an aligned TM from the source + final translated version - this new TM would replace the old one.

Depending on the type of project, I don't always update my TM with changes made during the final stages. Usually, the changes I make at the end are minor, or related to formatting, but it really does depend on the project itself.
Collapse

Joy Gehner
Joy Gehner
United States
Local time: 18:37
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was hoping for something more straightforward... Feb 11, 2010

But thank you Lori, this reply was helpful and I can organize myself better for these changes in the future.

I really feel I need a final reread in the original formatting, you always catch some little thing or other that way -

best,
Joy

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
preview feature? Feb 11, 2010

I'm really not that experienced with WFP, but I would be suprised if there wasn't some kind of preview feature where you could read through the target translation sans segments (and print it) before checking out? Something equivalent to Control + comma + comma in WFC ?? Yasmin will know better.

[Edited at 2010-02-11 21:21 GMT]

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
well Feb 12, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

I'm really not that experienced with WFP, but I would be suprised if there wasn't some kind of preview feature where you could read through the target translation sans segments (and print it) before checking out? Something equivalent to Control + comma + comma in WFC ?? Yasmin will know better.

That's not an issue. You can always produce a clean word file, then edit the txml and produce the final clean file (as many times as you like). The problem is she'll either have to do the editing twice (in word and txml) or edit the txml while looking at the word file. Not good.

An obvious solution would be for PRO to start producing unclean word files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP, updating TM after modifications in Word

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »