Segmentation in Wordfast Pro
Thread poster: svenfrade

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:10
French to German
+ ...
Feb 19, 2010

I am currently working on a rather large project using Wordfast Pro. It is a website another person and I translated previously, which is now being updated.

The source files are delivered as .txml files. I also get a TM for each batch, so everything should be fairly easy, but unfortunately, the segments of the .txml files are sometimes very large. Even if they do contain full stops, these seem to be ignored. In order to be able to use the TM properly, I have shrunk these segments manually, which is very time-consuming, though.

I have also come across huge segments with hundreds or even thousands of placeables, which were impossible to shrink manually. So basically, I have wasted a lot of time struggling with these technical aspects.

Is there an easier way to handle these segments in Wordfast Pro? I was told that a colleague working in a different language pair but with the same .txml files doesn't have these problems, so I assume I must be doing something wrong or that there is something I just don't know yet.

I would be very grateful for any advice.

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:10
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
paragraph segmenting Feb 19, 2010

quote:
When you go to Edit > Preferences > Filters is the 'segmentation on break'
checkbox checked? That could be a reason.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WF_PRO/message/1375

cheers,
P.

Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No,... Feb 19, 2010

the checkbox is not checked.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:10
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Invisible non-breaking spaces Feb 19, 2010

Perhaps the original file has invisible non-breaking blank spaces after periods. Check this in the original (select Tools > Options > Vie > (check) Hidden text.

If you see the sign ° after every period, that might be the problem.

In the original file, replace globaly the non-breaking blank spaces after periods by a standard blank space.

Regards

Clarisa Moraña

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Source Origin? Feb 19, 2010

inkweaver wrote:

I am currently working on a rather large project using Wordfast Pro. It is a website another person and I translated previously, which is now being updated.

The source files are delivered as .txml files. I also get a TM for each batch, so everything should be fairly easy, but unfortunately, the segments of the .txml files are sometimes very large. Even if they do contain full stops, these seem to be ignored. In order to be able to use the TM properly, I have shrunk these segments manually, which is very time-consuming, though.

Dear inkweaver,

Is this file copied from website or PDF files. If so, this could be the problem. Please try to copy the whole text from the original doc and paste it into WordPad (not NotePad). Save it as RTF, open in WFP and see if this makes difference.

Otherwise, please send me an example of the original (doc ?) files.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Yasmin, Feb 20, 2010

Unfortunately, I have no idea whether the files are copied from the website or not. I would assume so, but I am not sure.

I don't get Word files to work with. The files are delivered to me in .txml format and I send translated .txml files back.

I just thought there might be an easier way of shrinking the segments, since the colleague translating into a different language gets the same .txml files to work with, but has not reported any problems, I was told.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation in Wordfast Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search