disappearing comments
Thread poster: FishX

FishX  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:50
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2010

I have the latest version of wordfast, I have a text which has comments in bubbles down the side. Whne I switch on wordfast the comments disappear and I can't recover them, even after cleaning the text. Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:50
Spanish to English
Just a guess Feb 25, 2010

But, I have wordfast classic and for the translation process, it changes the view format, as seen under the view menu in Word. Have you tried changing the view format to print view?

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:50
French to English
+ ...
Track changes and Wordfast not compatible Feb 25, 2010

I don't think you can use Wordfast when Track changes is switched on - which I assume is what these bubbles are? Can't suggest a solution, I'm afraid....

FishX  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not tracks changes Feb 25, 2010

its not track changes, its the comments that you can insert into the text which appear as text in bubbles alongside the text on the right handside or underneath in a sepeate window - when I switch on wordfast the comments disappear (in print view) which is a problem because I'm supposed to translate them

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't translate comments in WF Feb 25, 2010

FishX wrote:
It's the comments that you can insert into the text which appear as text in bubbles alongside the text on the right handside or underneath in a sepeate window. When I switch on wordfast the comments disappear (in print view)...

I translated a file just this afternoon in WF, with Track Changes enabled and also with comments. I just had to make *very* sure I switch off Track Changes before I press Alt+down. The keyboard shortcut for switching Track Changes on and off is Ctrl+Shift+E. And you can't use normal clean-up if your file has Tracked Changes in it -- you need to use a wildcard find/replace to remove all hidden text.

As for your problem: there is a menu item in Word 2003 that might help: View > Markup. See if you can enable this after you've started to translate in Wordfast.

...which is a problem because I'm supposed to translate them.

You can't translate comments in WF, AFAIK.

If I had to translate a file with comments in it, I'd use OmegaT. Convert the DOC file to ODT using OpenOffice.org, and translate in OmegaT. The comments aren't distinguishable from the other text in a special way, but they are translatable.

You can even translate a file in OmegaT that has tracked changes in it, but the tag soup is something from out of this world, so it's typically better not to leave un-accepted/rejected changes in a file before translating it in OmegaT.

I'm not sure if there is some kind of Werecat that can extract comments from a DOC file.

[Edited at 2010-02-25 22:01 GMT]

FishX  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution found Feb 26, 2010

I found the solution to the problem ansd the way to make the comments reappears is this: theres a window with four options in a drop-down menu it on the tool bar known as 'recenzja' in Polish, perhaps 'review' in English or something like that. After cleaning the document, make sure is 'markers shown in the final version' or something similar (I have everthing in Polish) and the comments reappear. So if you're wondering where your comments are at, that might be the reason.

janrendek
Slovakia
English to Slovak
in MS Word 2003 in English: Apr 26, 2011

In Toolbar "Reviewing", it is the first pull-down menu, and the choice sought is "Final Showing Markup".

Jan
Bratislava

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

disappearing comments

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search