Thread poster: Laura Feijoo

Laura Feijoo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2010

Hello,

I am learning to use Wordfast Pro and need to put just one word in the target text in italics, but haven't find a way of doing it yet. Anyone knows how to change the text format/font?

Thank you!!

trebla
Canada
Local time: 06:29
French to English
Italicize one word In Wordfast Feb 28, 2010

Once you translate the segment, just block the word (double click it) and hit the Italics button in your toolbar, or right click and select italics.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Pro Feb 28, 2010

The question is about Wordfast Pro. And it's a good one. I suspect the way to go is to format the target text (once cleaned), so no good answer. Unless it's possible to insert and manually edit a placeable in the target text somehow?

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No italics button Feb 28, 2010

Thank you Trebla and Krysztof, but as Krysztof says, in Wordfast Pro I have no Italics button, and when I block the word and click it with the right button, I don't have any option to italize it.

I have just started using this CAT tool, but it seems unbelievable that it's so hard to change a word font or format!!

Let's see if anyone else has found a way around this...icon_smile.gif

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Everything depends on the source format Feb 28, 2010

In WF Pro you edit TXML file, not the file in the source format. TXML is XML-based, so any formatting should be side-effect of tags used in the content (format is not stored in the file). These tags will also depend on the source file.

NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
I am afraid you didn't grasp the method Feb 28, 2010

Laura Feijoo wrote:

I have just started using this CAT tool, but it seems unbelievable that it's so hard to change a word font or format!!

The source text (in the left column) is the result of a conversion. You should write the text in bold between the tags. Therefore, copy the source column in the target column, because the tags should stay there.

(source text) this is written in {ut1}bold {ut2} => ce texte est écrit en {ut1}gras {ut2}

After translation WF converts back into the original format (and does this very well, even with a complicated layout) and you will have: ce texte est écrit en gras
(sorry for the French words but I don't know Spanish)

The problem with those {ut} is that you cannot see if it means bold, italics or whatever, so you'll need to have the original file opened in the original software on another screen, or printed out.

WF Pro is not a text editor. If you want to add other layout features (new ones, which weren't there in the source file), you should do this after translation, in the translated and cleaned file, just before delivering it to your client. (and if it is a PPT file, also check the text boxes).

If you don't like this system, I suggest you try Wordfast Classic (the Word macro). It is not a text editor either, but you'll have all the functions of Word, and the basics are easier to learn.

[Modifié le 2010-02-28 22:54 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Extra" italics needed Feb 28, 2010

Thank you Wojciech, but what if you need to put a word in italics even when it is not in italics in the source text??

This is the case here, so, is there no way to include italic or bold text in the target if that is not the font in the source?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Depends on the source format Feb 28, 2010

I would have to see the file and the source file (and even in this case I may not be 100% sure what tag should be use).

Anyway, I have just checked the WF Pro interface, and it's impossible to add any tags (even the correct ones) that don't exist in source. I guess the easiest way would be to add comment to adjust the content in final format.

[Edited at 2010-02-28 23:36 GMT]

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
. Mar 1, 2010

never mind

[Edited at 2010-03-01 12:41 GMT]

JAMTranslations
United States
Local time: 03:29
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
I just do a final edit in the target file (word, or whatever it is) Mar 1, 2010

Hi Laura -

I also use WFPro Maybe this seems too unwieldy to you, but I always do a final read in the translated file, if only to make sure it came out looking right - and add any extra formatting I want at that point. As well as footnotes, comments, etc. Since the target file is the one I send to the client anyway, this works well for me.

Best,
Joy

Luiz Barucke
Brazil
Local time: 09:29
Member (2013)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Missing feature May 30, 2014

I've used many different CAT tools, and Wordfast Pro is the best one in my opinion.

But actually, that's the only meaningful missing feature of the software. All other CAT tools have the basic font format options in its menu. It's hard to believe that, after so many versions released, WF could not add this feature.

I often need to put terms in italic in my target, and with WF Pro this doesn't seem to be possible.

Luiz Barucke
Brazil
Member (2013)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Not ever possible May 30, 2014

Joy Daniel wrote:

Hi Laura -

I also use WFPro Maybe this seems too unwieldy to you, but I always do a final read in the translated file, if only to make sure it came out looking right - and add any extra formatting I want at that point. As well as footnotes, comments, etc. Since the target file is the one I send to the client anyway, this works well for me.

Best,
Joy

I do the same in my translations. And this seems to be the only way.
In addition, sometimes WF creates weird spaces between word and/or segments that we can note and fix only in the translated file.

The problem is that, most of times, I cannot generate a translated file. The client sends me only a TXML file, which I have to translate and send them back.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
Finnish to French
WYSIWYG in Wordfast Pro 4 May 30, 2014

Luiz Barucke wrote:
But actually, that's the only meaningful missing feature of the software. All other CAT tools have the basic font format options in its menu. It's hard to believe that, after so many versions released, WF could not add this feature.

Wordfast Pro 4 (to be released during the next few weeks/months) will have a WYSIWYG editor.

Déjà Vu started out in the 1990's and its editor did not become WYSIWYG before DVX3, released a couple of months ago. Wordfast Pro started out in early 2009 and will also become WYSIWYG in 2014 icon_wink.gif

Luiz Barucke
Brazil
Member (2013)
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Great news May 30, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Luiz Barucke wrote:

Wordfast Pro 4 (to be released during the next few weeks/months) will have a WYSIWYG editor.

Déjà Vu started out in the 1990's and its editor did not become WYSIWYG before DVX3, released a couple of months ago. Wordfast Pro started out in early 2009 and will also become WYSIWYG in 2014 icon_wink.gif

Dominique,

Great news! I didn't know that.
If so, WF will be definitely the best among the CAT tools.

[Editada em 2014-05-30 17:32 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
Finnish to French
RC1 May 30, 2014

Luiz Barucke wrote:
Great news! I didn't know that.

Version 4.1.0 RC1 (release candidate 1) was released a couple of days ago, so I would expect the final version to be out rather soon.

You can have a first glimpse at WFP 4 via Wordfast Anywhere:

2014-05-30_2123.png

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italics and Bold formats in Wordfast Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search