Proofreading in Wordfast
Thread poster: Wilmer Brouwer

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 18:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 19, 2010

I noticed a problem with identical segments when reviewing in Wordfast and I hope someone has a solution.
The issue is that when a file has two identical segments, or when two separate files have identical segments. When I update the translation of the first segment I want Wordfast to automatically do this also for the other segments, or at least to show me that the translation has changed when I go to the segments. Both things currently do not happen. When I change a segment, commit it to the TM and go to an identical segment which still has the old translation Wordfast does not show anything that would help me as the reviewer to quickly see that this is inconsistent and to quickly update it.
I assume this is just some easy setting that I forogt and I hope someone can help me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:20
French to English
Which version of WF? Mar 19, 2010

Which version of WF are you referring to? I am not sure about Wordfast Pro, but Wordfast Classic definitely has the feature you are referring to.

Unfortunately, there is no "automatic" update for identical segments, but if you change one segment, then open another identical segment, you will see a red outline which is the indication that the text does not match the segment stored in the TM. You can then use the CNTRL + right/left arrows to select and insert the correct translation stored in the TM.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:20
Member (2006)
French to English
Pandora's box Mar 19, 2010

Lori is right about the red line. For an automatic update you'll want to activate some PB commands.

From the manual:

BetterMatchShow

BetterMatchWrite

BetterMatchDiscrete

When revising a segmented, bilingual document (translated with TM1), using another TM (such as TM2), BetterMatchShow can be useful to receive propositions from TM2, if they are rated higher than the ones originally proposed by TM1. If a better match exists, it will be displayed above the segment (Shift+Alt+Insert will copy TM2's proposition to the target segment).

BetterMatchWrite: same as BetterMatchShow, but the better match will directly replace the existing target segment with the better proposition. The analogy rate is also replaced with the new analogy rate.

BetterMatchDiscrete: same as BetterMatchWrite, but the existing analogy rate will not be replaced with the new analogy rate.

Good luck,

John Di Rico


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 18:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pro version Mar 19, 2010

Thanks for the replies. I completely forgot to say that I am using the latest pro version.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:20
English to Arabic
Auto-Propagation Mar 19, 2010

wilmer-brouwer wrote:

The issue is that when a file has two identical segments, or when two separate files have identical segments. When I update the translation of the first segment I want Wordfast [Pro] to automatically do this also for the other segments



Dear Wilmer,

In general, Auto-propagation means that if you have some "repetitions" (=segments with the same source text), and you leverage a segment (Alt+Space), translate & commit it (Alt+Down), or even change it without committing (moving with the mouse), the rest of the repeated segments will be automatically filled with the same translation.


There are three options under (Edit > Preferences > Auto-Propagation):

~ Disable Auto-Propagation: If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will affect the current segment only and will have no effect on other repeated segments.

~ Global Auto-Propagation: If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will change all the repeated segments – no exceptions.

~ Partial Auto-Propagation: If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will change ONLY the repeated segments which are untouched, source copied or already auto-propagated. Other repeated segments, those that you have translated in a different way for some reason, will not be changed.


I suggest you try Global Auto-Propagation.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.


---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net



[Edited at 2010-03-19 20:12 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 18:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiple files Mar 19, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

wilmer-brouwer wrote:

The issue is that when a file has two identical segments, or when two separate files have identical segments. When I update the translation of the first segment I want Wordfast [Pro] to automatically do this also for the other segments



Dear Wilmer,

In general, Auto-propagation means that if you have some "repetitions" (=segments with the same source text), and you leverage a segment (Alt+Space), translate & commit it (Alt+Down), or even change it without committing (moving with the mouse), the rest of the repeated segments will be automatically filled with the same translation.


There are three options under (Edit > Preferences > Auto-Propagation):

~ Disable Auto-Propagation: If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will affect the current segment only and will have no effect on other repeated segments.

~ Global Auto-Propagation: If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will change all the repeated segments – no exceptions.

~ Partial Auto-Propagation: If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will change ONLY the repeated segments which are untouched, source copied or already auto-propagated. Other repeated segments, those that you have translated in a different way for some reason, will not be changed.


I suggest you try Global Auto-Propagation.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.


---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net



[Edited at 2010-03-19 20:12 GMT]


Hi Yasmin,

Thank you for your reply. I think this is the option I was looking for.
I have two questions without having tried it yet:
- will this also work when I do proofreading only? I usually do not do the translation myself.
- will this also work when I open multiple files; often the segment that is identical is in different files. So when I change it in one file I would like to have that change in all other files that have that segment.
Kind regards,

Wilmer


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:20
English to Arabic
Answers Mar 20, 2010

Dear Wilmer,

wilmer-brouwer wrote:

- will this also work when I do proofreading only? I usually do not do the translation myself.



Yes, sure!



wilmer-brouwer wrote:

- will this also work when I open multiple files; often the segment that is identical is in different files. So when I change it in one file I would like to have that change in all other files that have that segment.



It should work on the current file only.

But as you proofread, I suggest working with a TM. Click "Confirm All" and "Commit to TM" (Alt+End) when you finalize a file. Then, pre-translate the new files using the toolbar button "Translate All". You may prefer to lower the Fuzzy Match Threshold to 95 to update the exact and semi-exact matches only during the pre-translation.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.


---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net





[Edited at 2010-03-20 14:30 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:20
English to Polish
+ ...
proofreading Mar 21, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

It should work on the current file only.

But as you proofread, I suggest working with a TM. Click "Confirm All" and "Commit to TM" (Alt+End) when you finalize a file. Then, pre-translate the new files using the toolbar button "Translate All". You may prefer to lower the Fuzzy Match Threshold to 95 to update the exact and semi-exact matches only during the pre-translation.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.


Will this also work with a file that he's proofreading/editing? I.e. will "Translate All" override any existing text in the target segments?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 18:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Mar 22, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

It should work on the current file only.

But as you proofread, I suggest working with a TM. Click "Confirm All" and "Commit to TM" (Alt+End) when you finalize a file. Then, pre-translate the new files using the toolbar button "Translate All". You may prefer to lower the Fuzzy Match Threshold to 95 to update the exact and semi-exact matches only during the pre-translation.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.


Will this also work with a file that he's proofreading/editing? I.e. will "Translate All" override any existing text in the target segments?


I think this clarifies my question. I cannot commit everything to the TM without checking it first because it may override the current translation or it may commit things to the TM that should not be in there.
I would like to be able to change things in file 1, commit that to the TM and then continue working on file 2 and for every segment I want to be able to see that there is a difference between the current translation and the TM. Trados gives a warning when this happens, does WF also do this?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:20
English to Arabic
2.4 Jul 28, 2010

wilmer-brouwer wrote:
I think this clarifies my question. I cannot commit everything to the TM without checking it first because it may override the current translation or it may commit things to the TM that should not be in there.
I would like to be able to change things in file 1, commit that to the TM and then continue working on file 2 and for every segment I want to be able to see that there is a difference between the current translation and the TM. Trados gives a warning when this happens, does WF also do this?


Dear Wilmer,

Please download the new version, WFP 2.4, and try the following:

- Go to Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory and check the option: Perform TM Lookup automatically > OK

- Now, every time you move to a segment, you will see all its words in the TM Lookup textbox which will be automatically searched in the TM. So, you will be able to see the origin of the current segment in the TM Lookup pane while you are editing it in the target cell.

I hope this helps.



---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in Wordfast

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search