Alt+Delete OR Alt+↓
Thread poster: Trier1 (X)

Trier1 (X)
Mar 31, 2010

Can anyone tell me the difference between alt+del & Alt+↓?
Both take you out of "segment mode". Do they carry out the same function?
Thanks a mill!icon_eek.gif)

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:44
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Really? Mar 31, 2010

I thought "Alt+Down" took you to the next segment.

Trier1 (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Correction: Alt+Delete OR Alt+end Mar 31, 2010

You are completely right.
I meant the difference between, Alt+Delete & Alt+end.icon_redface.gif,
Sorry, thanks.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:44
French to English
Not the same function Apr 1, 2010

Alt-Delete restores the current segment to source text only (it is no longer segmented). This can be useful for example when you need to split/expand the segment and need to go back to source only in order to do so.

Alt-End saves the current segment to the TM (if there is any target text, otherwise it prompts you and asks if you really want to end session) and ends the session.

Trier1 (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Alt+Delete Apr 1, 2010

Hi everyone, thanks for the clarifications. To conclude:

ALT+DELETE, when in SEGMENT MODE:
The target segment disappears, but only for the "current segment" you are working on,
(the rest of the document continues to display source and target).

ALT+DELETE, when NOT in SEGMENT MODE:
In this case, Alt+Delete, makes the target text disappear from the whole document. (Permenantly?)

It asks me if I want to back up the document first, although I don’t know where it backs up the source+target version, before converting to the original, source only, document.
It seems I am able to undo as well, (after pressing Ctrl+Z a few times) which I imagine would be handy.

The "Ctrl+coma" command is useful, to toggle between the two views of source+target and target only.

Best wishes.

(P.S. Wordfast)

[Edited at 2010-04-01 13:15 GMT]

Lowri Roberts  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:44
English to Welsh
+ ...
Agree with Lori Apr 1, 2010

Alt+Delete closes the open segment and doesn't save the translation (if you've typed one) to the TM, while Alt+End closes the open segment and saves the translated to the TM. Both close the open segments (ie the translation session) - just depends whether you want to save your target translation.

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 06:44
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Wordfast - not Trados Apr 1, 2010

Are you talking about Wordfast or Trados?

In Wordfast, Alt+Delete deletes all text in the target field
In Trados, Alt+Delete restores only the source text (closes the segment without saving any translation)

In Wordfast, Alt+End saves all target segments to the selected TM
In Trados, Alt+End saves the current target segment only (closes it without opening the next one)

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alt+Delete OR Alt+↓

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search