Wf Classic TM-s from Windows - in Wf Pro on Mac
Thread poster: Dragomir Kovacevic

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:51
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2010

Well, the question might seem superfluous if we use Wf TM-s created in Windows surrounding, in our Wf Pro-s on Windows too; the usage should be regular, no glitches, the internal encoding was UTF-16LE and supposedly those tms- could be used normally on Windows PC-s.

The point is that Ms Office 2004 on Mac uses UTF-16BE for encoding of its Wf classic memories (the Wf classic placed in the MS Word 2004), and the direct usage of TM-s arrived from PC-s is not possible.

(This very evening, seeing a comment msg in my AD Viewer on Mac, saying: "This TM seems to be in UTF-16 for Intel (a.k.a. little endian). AD Viewer converts it into PowerPC format (a.k.a. big endian)... - I understood the very reason for this distinction of two UTF-16 flavours, ante-Intel and post-Intel on Mac-s.)

I'd like to spare me of doing extensive testings, and would appreciate receiving some notions whether I could use Wf classic TM-s from Windows (UTF-16LE), in Wf Pro on Mac, directly. And preferably, as read only tm-s, since all previous tm-s should be in this way or another, read-only. My presumption is that Wf Pro on Mac could only use Wf Classic TM-s born from Wf Classic under Mac, and skip reading anything originating from Windows zone.

However, I tend to believe that Wf Pro on Mac, can use both UTF-16 flavours indifferently, or should do so.

Thank you, Dragomir

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wf Classic TM-s from Windows - in Wf Pro on Mac

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search