Can I exclude some parts of a document from segmentation?
Thread poster: Argentine Translator

Argentine Translator
Argentina
Local time: 05:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

I have to translate some parts of a document and others not. Is there any function in Wordfast 580_y to exclude these parts from segmentation? Thanks and best regards, AT

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:31
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
untranslatable attribute Apr 9, 2010

You can define the text that doesn't need translation as untranslatable.

From the manual:

 Use DoubleStrikeThrough as untranslatable attribute I use this one
This is a DoubleStrikeThrough text example.
Rather than defining an external style that excludes text from the segmentation/translation process, you can choose a font attribute. Choose one font attribute that defines text not to be translated. Remember to uncheck this feature after use, otherwise, it may remain active and produce unexpected results. This feature slightly reduces segmentation speed.
 Use Highlight Gray 25% as untranslatable attribute
This is a Highlight Gray 25% text example
Same as above. This effect is visible only if Tools/Options/View/Highlights is checked. Important: the use of this text attribute (Highlight Gray 25%) should be limited to documents that have no highlighted text at all before translation.
 Use Marching Red Ants as untranslatable attribute
This is a Marching Red Ants text example
Same as above.
This effect is visible only if Tools/Options/View/Animations is checked in Ms-Word.

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 10:31
English to Slovak
+ ...
read the manual Apr 9, 2010

I recommend to everybody who is new in Wordfast to reat the manual thoroughly - it is alwys very helpful when you know the posiibilities of this powerful tool. I personally translated the manuals into Slovak language and I am always very surprised how simple questions are users asking!!!
Good luck
Dušan Ján Hlísta

[Edited at 2010-04-09 12:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I exclude some parts of a document from segmentation?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search