Thread poster: Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2010

Hi All,

I need to edit a translated ttx file (containing the text of a ppt file) in Wordfast. I have both Wordfast Pro and the latest Wordfast Beta, but when I open the file in Pro, the text from the first slide of the ppt file is nowhere to be seen.

I then tried to do the same with the latest Wf Beta (per Yasmin's instructions in an earlier topic), but when I tell it to go ahead and tag and then look at the tags, I see something that looks like Chinese characters interspersed with the rest of the text.

I've also tried using PlusToyz, but the macros are not enabled and I can't figure out how to do that, either.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next, and I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

Any suggestions?

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:34
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
editpad Apr 10, 2010

http://www.editpadpro.com/

This is a superior text editor that lets you handle almost any file type, color coded and all. I am using it for almost any purpose, including rough translations, rather than word. The exe file fits on a 4gb USB stick and I took it with my files to a library to work on a translation there (with books that could not be checked out).
Even the pro version is free and you only pay $49 if you want a few additional features (like the portability).

I just opened a ttx file with it, and you will have to find your target text within a lot of ppt code, but with crtl F you should be able to find what you need.

Good luck and let me know if you need more info.

Lianne

ps: and apparently wordfast pro 2.3 can handle ttx files too, but I have not tried that yet:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/54346-how_to_edit_ttx_files_without_trados.html

[Edited at 2010-04-10 01:08 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The problem with... Apr 10, 2010

Lianne Van De Ven wrote:
http://www.editpadpro.com/
This is a superior text editor that lets you handle almost any file type, color coded and all.

The problem with editing XML files in a text editor is that you (the human) needs to make sure that you don't type text in a non-XML-compliant way. This means converting certain characters to entities.

Another problem with doing XML in a text editor is that you can accidentally break something and not know it, and when you send the translation to the client, he won't be able to open it in his program.

So unless you're using a commercial tool that promises 100% support for TTX, you should always test your final TTX file in Trados itself (you can use a demo version for testing it) to see if it opens correctly.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:
I've also tried using PlusToyz, but the macros are not enabled and I can't figure out how to do that, either.

Perhaps the folks over at the WFC mailing list can help with that:
wordfast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
The file, please! Apr 10, 2010

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

I need to edit a translated ttx file (containing the text of a ppt file) in Wordfast. I have both Wordfast Pro and the latest Wordfast Beta, but when I open the file in Pro, the text from the first slide of the ppt file is nowhere to be seen.

Dear Elizabeth,

Is this slide already in the TTX file? Or did you try to open the PPT itself in Wordfast Pro?

Could you please send me the TTX file as well.

Thanks in advance!

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing ttx file with Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search