Serbian language "locales"
Thread poster: Dragomir Kovacevic

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:24
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2010

I've put "locales" under quotes; there are 5 (five) flavours for Serbian language:

SR - Serbian
SR-RS - Serbian Serbia
SR-CS - Serbian Serbia and Montenegro
SR-ME - Serbian Montenegro
SR-BA - Serbian Bosnia

?!

Some aspects and comments:

- users landed from Wordfast Classic, know SR-01 (Serbian Cyrillic) and SH-01 Serbian Latin a.k.a. Serbo-Croatian. The keyboard takes the correct layout as well.

- Spellchecker Hunspell: I don't believe Hunspell/OpenOffice volunteers will produce 5 variants for Serbian: there are Serbian in cyrillic and in latin, and "basta".

- Most possibly MS Office is capable now, besides giving the above myriad of one language,(Bosnian, Croatian, as well, etc...), to furnish some language pack dictionaries in national version of Windows 7, I don't know the exact situation for Win7, but this choice of Wf IT-colleagues might have been on the road of MS?

Questions:
- which one of the above 5, is in cyrillic, and which in latin alphabet?
- what is such a great need to variate Serbian into 5 language sub-variant codes? This language is spoken on a 400 Km diameter, non need to divide us more, please.
- what about Serbian language spoken abroad, call it Serbian as well, and call it as well: Serbo-Croatian? When giving us 5 flavours, why not the 6-th one? Mixed, drinking it becomes easier, like poet Njegosh used to sing, but having had in mind quite another thing.

Dragomir

[Edited at 2010-04-12 15:52 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serbian language "locales"

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search