Thread poster: Gouranga Charan Pradhan

Gouranga Charan Pradhan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:45
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2010

Hi All,

I have a Excel document and I want to use WordFast tool for translating the file. I have done this many times without any problem. But now when I am trying to translate the Excel file by opening a MS word, I am not able to do that. Only the 1st segment is coming and when I enter Alt+ Down key, the cursor is blinking and MS word getting hanged. I have to forcibly close MS Word. I have tried many times, but same problem is occurring. Does anybody has any idea what can be the issue? Any help is highly appreciated.

Warm Regards
Gouranga

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:15
French to German
+ ...
Most probably... Apr 13, 2010

Most probably, the problem finds its origins in the Excel file. I cannot help further, but the symptoms point in that direction.

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
proposed solution Apr 13, 2010

You can try to save the Excel document (*.xls) in MS Excel "Save as MS dos text" and then you can try to open it in MS Word as text file. It is useful to try it, then you can see if the file in original Excell format is uncorrupted. But something tells me that there is even possibility to use Wordfast directly in MS Excel - but I am not sure of it now.
Dušan Ján Hlísta

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
funny excel files Apr 13, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Most probably, the problem finds its origins in the Excel file. I cannot help further, but the symptoms point in that direction.

Yes, that's what I suspect too, something must be "funny" about your excel file and is preventing Wordfast from working.

Maybe one of the workarounds describe in the wiki article will help you.

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translating_Excel_files_in_Wordfast

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WorfFast not working with MS Excel

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search