What exactly is 'leveraging'?
Thread poster: Lowri Roberts

Lowri Roberts  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:09
English to Welsh
+ ...
Apr 18, 2010

I'm sorry if this is a really simple or obvious question, but I'm really struggling to work out what 'Leverage' means in terms of Wordfast Pro!
Does it mean the TU is re-used?
Does it mean the TU is sent to the TM?
I'm very familiar with Wordfast Classic but just getting to grips with Wordfast Pro and trying to prepare some training materials - but this word / expression is really confusing me!
Thanks in advance for your replies
Lowri

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask the source, not the crowd Apr 19, 2010

Often I see people asking the "crowd" what some person or organization means or wants by saying a certain thing that may be a bit ambiguous. But you must realize that the "crowd" does not have any definitive answer.

So if you really want to know, the only valid answer will come from the source, so that is who to ask.

United Kingdom
English to Welsh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry Apr 19, 2010

Thanks for your reply.
I've just send my query to Wordfast themselves.
I suppose I just thought I would check whether anyone else had had the same query and worked it out themselves or got an answer from Wordfast - couldn't see anything when I searched the forum though.
Thanks again
Lowri

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
English to Polish
+ ...
HTH Apr 19, 2010

Lowri,

The other day I was also at a loss and could not figure out what it meant. Digging through previous posts I happened to come across these two links which discuss the issue.

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/136307-leverage_tm_vs_commit_to_tm.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/154276-leverage_tm_what_does_it_mean.html

From my perspective, what I find encouraging about your post, however, is that even English native speakers who know previous versions of WF are confused by the terms used to describe the product. Terms like 'leverage' obviously sound smart and wise, but apparently add no value to the product.

All the best,
Marek

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 19, 2010

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar) wrote:

... even English native speakers who know previous versions of WF are confused by the terms used to describe the product. Terms like 'leverage' obviously sound smart and wise, but apparently add no value to the product.

And you can add me to the list!
Anyone who has the energy should send the question to SDL Trados too...

At present the word ´leverage´ features regularly on my B*llsh*t Bingo card icon_biggrin.gif

United Kingdom
English to Welsh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Apr 19, 2010

Marek - I've had a look at those links and I'm afraid I'm still as confused and unsure after reading them.

I've had a response from Wordfast, as follows:

"Leveraging" means re-using a TU. In Wordfast Pro, this can be through Alt+Down or Alt+Space. Even pre-translation could be called leveraging in the widest sense.

On the other hand, sending a TU to the TM is called "committing". It is one of the Alt+Down functions (in Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro).

I then asked 'what is the difference between 'leveraging' and 'committing to TM'?

The answer was:

In general, "leveraging" is to get a match from the TM, if any (Alt+Down or Alt+Space). Committing to TM is for storing a new segment translation or update to the TM (Alt+Down or Alt+End) so that you can leverage later.

As for the toolbar buttons:

Current Segment Leverage (Alt+Space): Is for searching the TM for matches for the current segment. You use it only for the first segment or if you move to a segment using the mouse withouth Alt+Down.

Commit to TM (Alt+End): It is for storing ALL the 'confirmed' segments to the TM.

Hope this helps those who are just as confused as me!!

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 19, 2010

Hi Lowri,

I'm struggling with the change from Classic to Pro, and this is just one of the things that is giving me a headache.

Thanks for posting the response from the folks at Wordfast; at least that's one question answered.

Liz

United Kingdom
English to Welsh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think... Apr 19, 2010

...that leveraging means you re-use an existing TU, by asking Wordfast Pro to search the TM.
and commit to TM means you're saving a new TU to be leveraged (ie re-used) at a later date.

And that Alt+Down does both of these things for you.

I may be wrong though!

In that case, I'm still not sure what the Alt+Spacebar action is for - surely you wouldn't need to just use an old TU and not commit the new TU to the TM...

...yes Wordfast Classic does seem to be much simpler. I wonder what people use Wordfast Pro for?!?!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
CAT jargon Apr 21, 2010

Leverage = get suggestions from the TM (be it automatic, or manual using Concordance Search)
Recycle = reuse previous translations

United Kingdom
English to Welsh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 21, 2010

Thanks Stanislav
I think what's confusing me (and possibly other translators who may or may not already use Wordfast Classic) is that the leveraging is 'automatic' or just part of the Alt+Down action, whereas it seems to be an optional extra in Wordfast Pro...
...or maybe I'm still confused about the whole thing?!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What exactly is 'leveraging'?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search