Thread poster: Neda Mirova

Neda Mirova  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:05
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2010

Hi,

I am a new user of Wordfast Classic (5.5) and quite new to CAT in general. I would be extremely grateful for your insight and clear and simple instructions on dealing with the following two problems.

1. My client has sent me bilingual TTX files (from TRADOS) which I need to revise, make changes to, and save back in TTX. I´ve been reading all kinds of advice about converting TTX for use with Wordfast and have downloaded and installed the TTXpress tool. As far as I understand the only thing I need to do in order to open the file is to click on the first button, select the file and open it. However, when I do this I get the following message "Visual Basic Error 429 El componente activeX no puede crear el objeto" (in Office 1997-2003). I have no idea what this is and the so-called "help" button just spits out a load of instructions which I find incomprehensible. My question is: how do I fix this and how do I proceed to open TTX files correctly with Wordfast? Is there any other tool that I can use apart from TTXpress?

2. For the same project (the transaltion of a website) my client has sent me a separate file with tag settings and told me that they want me to use these tags and not the predefined HTML tag settings. I have no idea how to specify the tag settings that I want to use. I´d really appreciate your help with this!
Thanks a million in advance for your valuable time and sharing your knowledge out. Hopefully the day will get better with your ideas...:)

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 19:05
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro Apr 20, 2010

Dear Neda,

I suggest you give Wordfast Pro a try. Wordfast Pro can open segmented TTX files just as any file. After finalizing the translation/revision, you can save it again as TTX (File menu > Save Translated File).

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

After installing Wordfast Pro, just create a new project ("File" menu) and a new translation memory. Then "Open" the source file you want to translate ("File" menu); you can open even Excel, PowerPoint, TTX and HTML files directly. Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down. After finalizing the translation/revision, press Alt+End, "Save", and select "Save Translated file" from "File" menu to have the target translated file in the same original format. That is it!

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Classic Beta Apr 20, 2010

Another option to translate TTX files is to use the latest *beta* version of Wordfast Classic to convert the TTX file to a doc, translate/proofread and then convert it back to the TTX format. Currently, a TTX file should be segmented first. Even pre-translating it in a trial version of Trados against an empty TM should be enough.

http://www.wordfast.net/beta/

Steps:

1- Open the (segmented) TTX in MS Word.
2- Press Alt+Down to start translation
3- When you are asked to tag the file, answer affirmatively.
4- Translate!
5- Cleanup; this will create a TRANSLATED version of the TTX file in the same folder.

Make sure you do not change the file names and locations during the translation.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Spain
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beta version worked Apr 20, 2010

Thanks for your help Yasmin. I´ve just downloaded the beta version of Wf Classic and I now have a perfectly segmented text that I can translate. What a relief!

Thanks again.

Neda

Spain
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TTX bilingual files with *beta* version of Wordfast Apr 21, 2010

Hi,

I have a further question. I am following Yasmin´s instructions on working with TTX files in Wordfast using *beta* version of Wf Classic.

Step 5 requires "Cleanup" in order to created a TRANSLATED version of the TTX file.I have 2 questions:
1. Am I right to assume that the format of the new file will be TTX?
2. My client wants a BILINGUAL version of the TTX file, not just the translated version. Can I do this? Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Neda

Egypt
English to Arabic
Yes Apr 21, 2010

Dear Neda,

Neda Mirova wrote:

1. Am I right to assume that the format of the new file will be TTX?
2. My client wants a BILINGUAL version of the TTX file, not just the translated version. Can I do this?

Yes, after the Cleanup process, you will have the translated TTX in the same folder. The generated TTX file is bilingual.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Spain
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Apr 21, 2010

Yes, it has worked.

Thanks again.

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same issue? Oct 26, 2011

I have a series of partially translated ttx files that I am translating in Tageditor, which works fine.
I am just interested in using Wordfast, my regular work environment, so I tried to open the ttx in WFPro and got the error message:

"error converting filename.rtf.ttx.
Reason: TTX file must be segmented in Trados in order to opened in Wordfast" [yes, 'be' is missing]

Why do I get this message? I was for sure assuming it had already been segmented in Trados...?

Thanks,
Lianne

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Don't assume anything Oct 26, 2011

Lianne Van De Ven wrote:
I have a series of partially translated ttx files that I am translating in Tageditor, which works fine.
I am just interested in using Wordfast, my regular work environment, so I tried to open the ttx in WFPro and got the error message:

"error converting filename.rtf.ttx.
Reason: TTX file must be segmented in Trados in order to opened in Wordfast" [yes, 'be' is missing]

Why do I get this message? I was for sure assuming it had already been segmented in Trados...?

See the procedure described here: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

As I understand it, all target segments need to be populated in order for WFP to be able to open your TTX. You said your TTX files are partially translated...

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Still don't understand Oct 27, 2011

Thank you for replying, Dominique. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.

I performed what is explained in the link you provided (which I had already read but didn't make sense to me given what I was looking at): Tools>translate> and add the ttx file (in Workbench), and perform the translation.

I have a large TM available, and what this operation does is creating a file that I can perfectly open in wordfast All segments are pre-translated out of the TM. However, this procedure skips the segments that I actually have to translate, the ones that could not be translated out of the TM.

So should I use no TM? What exactly would that do?

Whatever my assumptions are or common knowledge is (we can never operate without assumptions, we would be a blanc slate without experience or knowledge), something isn't clicking yet. For one thing I do not understand the difference between the 'translate' in Workbench and the translating I am doing in Tageditor. Does 'translate' in workbench really mean 'segment', then?

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting TTX files to RTF for Wordfast - error 429

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search