Thread poster: François-Xavier Pâque

François-Xavier Pâque
Belgium
Local time: 16:55
Member (2010)
Russian to French
+ ...
May 2, 2010

Hello, I'm trying to import the EU TM (which is a meager 850 mo) in my wordfast pro 2.3, but it keeps on saying "java heap space". I have been trying to cut the file in parts but then i get tmx errors ^^. I also tried to give more memory to the program, but even with the maximum, it keeps on java heap spacing me.

I work on Mac OS X snow Leopard, with a 3 go Ram machine.

Any ideas what i could do ?

Thank you very much

[Edited at 2010-05-02 11:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-02 11:16 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Just a test... May 2, 2010

Hi François-Xavier,
could you please give me the link to the EU TM so I can try for myself with the same configuration?

Blandine Jaumouillé-Drooghmans
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
sanity of the tmx May 2, 2010

Salut François-Xavier,

Est-tu sûr que l'export tmx est sain? il y a peut-être un problème avec le tmx même.

France
French to German
+ ...
My first presumption! May 2, 2010

Blandine Drooghmans wrote:

Salut François-Xavier,

Est-tu sûr que l'export tmx est sain? il y a peut-être un problème avec le tmx même.

I am afraid this could be an obvious and probable reason. This is why I would like (among others) to test this file with my TMX validator.

[Edited at 2010-05-02 14:59 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wordfast limitation May 2, 2010

IIRC Wordfast has fairly low TM size limits, wikipedia says 1 million. If so, the acquis TM is probably over the limit depending on your language combination.

If it doesn't work in bits, there has to be another problem, though... How did you chop it up? TMX files need to have a header and a footer so you're best off creating it in bits instead of chopping up the big one.
Either way, I'd say install xbench on a windows machine, open the TM (in 6 or so pieces, two volumes each), export each of them into TMX and try to use those in WF. The problem could be some formatting/tag/disallowed character issue in the TMX which this process should get rid of.
Also, export a TM from WF and check the language codes it uses. Then apply these language codes when exporting from xbench as CATs have incompatible language code conventions and this is often the cause of the problem.

François-Xavier Pâque
Belgium
Member (2010)
Russian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
le lien May 2, 2010

Voici le lien,

il faut cependant télécharger les 12 divisions et les exporter selon les langues. J'ai essayé EN-FR et FR-EN avec le même résultat.

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html#Download

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here are the TMs May 2, 2010

I imagine that the TMs in discussion are these ones:

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

I imported those TMX files into Trados so I think that the TMX format is valid.

The problem is that they are really large. They have many, many, many translation units.

Another problem is that they have a text field to refer to the document from where each translation unit comes from. Some very common segments which appear in many documents have extremely long content in these text fields.

My suggestion would be to extract these TMX in smaller files and convert them in smaller batches.

Daniel

France
French to German
+ ...
Oups, mauvaise pioche :( May 2, 2010

I apparently cannot access the TMXtract.jar file?! Better send me the .TMX as such by using this link: https://dropbox.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=dropbox&dropbox=KraulandConsulting&secure=1

France
French to German
+ ...
What I found out so far... May 2, 2010

I took a .TMX file at random among those contained in Volume_1.zip.

This is the header as I modified it by using TextEdit:

I had to add some code which was missing/garbled in the original .TMX file and which returned error messages from the .TMX validator.

Wordfast Pro managed to open the modified .TMX, even if segtype="block" is not 100% accurate. So it would be useful to check the actual header of your file first and foremost.

PS: apart from that, I would not exactly say that 850 MB are "meager", but this may be because I have some objections against what I call too large files.

[Edited at 2010-05-02 19:32 GMT]

François-Xavier Pâque
Belgium
Member (2010)
Russian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
meager May 2, 2010

i was just being ironic, for, being only starting as a freelance translator it is by far the biggest TM i ever saw so far

Thank you for your help, i'll try that !

[Edited at 2010-05-02 20:09 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Help importing the EU TM to wordfast Pro May 2, 2010

François-Xavier Pâque wrote:

Hello, I'm trying to import the EU TM (which is a meager 850 mo) in my wordfast pro 2.3, but it keeps on saying "java heap space". I have been trying to cut the file in parts but then i get tmx errors ^^. I also tried to give more memory to the program, but even with the maximum, it keeps on java heap spacing me.

I work on Mac OS X snow Leopard, with a 3 go Ram machine.

Any ideas what i could do ?

Thank you very much

[Edited at 2010-05-02 11:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-02 11:16 GMT]

I did it some month ago. However, I should say too that all the EU-TMX created failed against a TMX-checker from ver. 1.1 to 1.4b. What I did was to use this application (wf2tmx) that automatically zapped all not wf-compatible TUs. Good luck!

[Editado a las 2010-05-03 07:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help importing the EU TM to wordfast Pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search