Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
MAC OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard compatible with Wordfast/ Trados?
Thread poster: Julia Mojik

Julia Mojik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:57
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
May 6, 2010

Hi there,

has anybody used the latest MAC operating system (MAC OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard) with Wordfast/ Trados and can share experiences in terms of compatibility, please?

I have already learned from this forum that there seem to be a lot of "ifs" and "whens" when it comes to MAC - CAT tool compatibility.

The best answerer for my question would be somebody who already uses MAC OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard and Wordfast/ Trados and not any older version of MAC - and who has found a solution for possible compatibility problems (maybe with bootcamp or parallel?)

Thank you very much in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
WFC vs. WFP May 6, 2010

Dear Julia,

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic (the MS Word template) for Mac available at:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

Please note that you cannot install Wordfast Classic into MS Word 2008 because Word 2008 does not support Visual Basic which is required for Wordfast Classic. So, you can install Wordfast Classic into an earlier version of MS Word for Mac, typically MS Word 2004.
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=versions〈=engb

Otherwise, you can use Wordfast Professional, the stand-alone application, which does not depend on MS Word.

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional for Mac available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

After installing Wordfast Pro, just create a new project ("File" menu) and a new translation memory. Then "Open" the source file you want to translate ("File" menu). Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down. After finalizing the translation, press Alt+End, "Save", and select "Save Translated file" from "File" menu to have the target translated file in the same original format. That is it!

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Mac group :) May 7, 2010

Hi Julia,
have you already joined the Mac help group on Yahoo!Groups?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MacSwitch/

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WFC vs. WFP May 7, 2010

Dear Yasmin,

thank you very much!!!

How nice because I wanted to contact you directly anyway - even before you replied to my enquiry - I had found out in other forums about MAC and CAT that you seem to be somebody who knows what she is talking about.

Two questions about Wordfast Pro:

1) What does stand-alone application mean?
2) Can I install Wordfast Pro directly on the Snow Leopard operating system or do I need an XP operating system for it via Parallel or Fusions?
3) Can I integrate it into Pages from iWorks? In case it cannot be used with Pages - which software/ version (maybe some kind of Word version) do I have to use with Wordfast Pro?
4) In case I have to use something else than Pages with Wordfast Pro, where do I have to install it? Can it be installed on Snow Leopard or do I still have to use Parallel/ Fusion and XP?

Thank you very much indeed.

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Julia,

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic (the MS Word template) for Mac available at:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

Please note that you cannot install Wordfast Classic into MS Word 2008 because Word 2008 does not support Visual Basic which is required for Wordfast Classic. So, you can install Wordfast Classic into an earlier version of MS Word for Mac, typically MS Word 2004.
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=versions〈=engb

Otherwise, you can use Wordfast Professional, the stand-alone application, which does not depend on MS Word.

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional for Mac available at:

After installing Wordfast Pro, just create a new project ("File" menu) and a new translation memory. Then "Open" the source file you want to translate ("File" menu). Insert the translation in the target cell and move to the next segment using Alt+Down. After finalizing the translation, press Alt+End, "Save", and select "Save Translated file" from "File" menu to have the target translated file in the same original format. That is it!

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac group :) May 7, 2010

Hi Laurent,

I might have a look there - but at first I want to wait for Yasmin's answer - this might spare me a lot of research work and I think...if she doesn't know who else should?

I have already been to "apfeltalk" and "macuser".

Thanks a lot anyway.

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Hi Julia,
have you already joined the Mac help group on Yahoo!Groups?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MacSwitch/

Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro for Mac May 7, 2010

Julia Mojik-Bernhard wrote:
1) What does stand-alone application mean?
2) Can I install Wordfast Pro directly on the Snow Leopard operating system or do I need an XP operating system for it via Parallel or Fusions?
3) Can I integrate it into Pages from iWorks? In case it cannot be used with Pages - which software/ version (maybe some kind of Word version) do I have to use with Wordfast Pro?
4) In case I have to use something else than Pages with Wordfast Pro, where do I have to install it? Can it be installed on Snow Leopard or do I still have to use Parallel/ Fusion and XP?

Dear Julia,

You are very welcome!

1- Being a stand-alone CAT tool means (in this context) that Wordfast Pro does not need MS Word to be installed. It is to compare it with other similar tools that depends on MS Word, such as Wordfast Classic, Trados 7, or MetaTexis.

2- There is a dedicated version of Wordfast Pro for Mac. You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional for Mac available at:

3 & 4- You do not need any external applications for running the Wordfast Pro on Mac.

It is highly recommended you start trying the DEMO version of Wordfast Pro in your daily translation projects. You will be able to use the DEMO version on small-to-medium projects unless your client sends a very large TM:

Please go on and let me know if you have any further questions.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2010-05-07 15:15 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Some precisions May 7, 2010

Hi again, Julia.
To catch up a little bit:

3) Pages is a Mac-specific application which is not supported by WFP. I use Office:mac 2008 but in general would *not* recommend it to my worst enemy. Therefore and as suggested by Yasmin, I would go for Office:mac 2004 which has the advantage of also being able to run WFC.

I still have to try saving Pages documents to DOC and then opening them with WFP. Risky and with uncertain results.

So much for nowicon_smile.gif.

Egypt
English to Arabic
Some precisions: Wordfast does NOT need MS Word to be installed May 7, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Hi again, Julia.
To catch up a little bit:

3) Pages is a Mac-specific application which is not supported by WFP. I use Office:mac 2008 but in general would *not* recommend it to my worst enemy. Therefore and as suggested by Yasmin, I would go for Office:mac 2004 which has the advantage of also being able to run WFC.

I still have to try saving Pages documents to DOC and then opening them with WFP. Risky and with uncertain results.

Dear Laurent,

Many thanks for your contribution which should help Mac users.

Just to be more precise, it is quite different to talk about the integration of two sorts of software and the support of file format generated by software.

To be sure, you CAN use Wordfast Pro on a machine that does not have any text editor; you CAN use Wordfast Pro even if you do NOT have MS Word at all. You can open and translate DOC and DOCX files in Wordfast Pro even if you do NOT have MS Word installed.

Wordfast Pro is a stand-alone application wish means that it is not integrated into any other application.

To be more precise also, currently the only feature (in WFP for Mac) that you will not be able to use in Wordfast Pro if MS Word is not installed is "Preview in MS Word". But this does not affect the functionality of Wordfast Pro.

I hope things are clearer now. To make things really clearer, I suggest that you, Julia, download Wordfast Pro and try it herself. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

[Edited at 2010-05-07 18:13 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Things *are* clear May 7, 2010

Hello Yasmin,
my main point was to tell Julia that WFP does not support the Apple Pages format.

Other than that, I agree upon the fact that a TEnT which can open and read many file formats does not need a workstation hosting all the corresponding applications.

PS: just an addition. I managed to open and translate the MS Word conversion of a Pages document.

[Edited at 2010-05-07 19:03 GMT]

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DRIVE and ARRIVE May 8, 2010

Dear Yasmin, dear Laurent,

thank you for your contribution.

Now I am a bit confused because of the WFP-part of the discussion.

For my purposes it is important to know how I am going to use WFP on a MAC - that I can deliver a reasonable document to my client.

To make my point even clearer: When I want to drive a car, I need to know how to get it started - that I can drive from A to B. BUT it isn't important for me to know now, if this car does its job with 4 or 6 or even 8 cylinders.

Important for me is now: Do I have everything that I need to drive my car smoothly? Clear for now is that I know that I can use a certain motor (WFP) for my car (Mac) - so it's not a Fiat motor that tries to be a Rolls Royceicon_smile.gif. I will download the demo version.

BUT what else do I have to get to DRIVE smoothly and to ARRIVE in good shape? AND where do I have to install additional requirements?

1) Which word processor program (= transmission system) do I need? I already learned to forget about Word:Mac 2008 and Pages. So, exactly which word processor program do I use?

2) Where do I install this word processor program (transmission system)? In the front of my car next to the motor which means on MAC OS X or in the back of my car which means XP via Parallel or Fusions (in case it is a MS word processor program)?

3) How do I connect the motor (WFP) with the transmission system (word processor program)? On MS it was clear: download Wordfast and integrate it into MS Word.

4) Given that all the above indicated questions have been clarified and I worked on a file - translated it with WFP and the respective word processor program - do I receive a document/ file in the respective word processor program that is just ready to be sent to the client - so he can open it without any problems/ so there are no changes in the formatting of the file (original MS Word files edited in Pages and exported back to MS Word often require manual formatting if the original document had a lot of extra formatting)?

Thanks a lot again in advance - please give short answers to my questions according to the above indicated order. This will help me to understand what I have to do.

[Edited at 2010-05-08 09:28 GMT]

Daniel Gold  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:57
Member (2005)
Italian to English
Trados on the Mac May 11, 2010

I currently use VM Fusion to run Windows on my iMac with an Intel processor, and run Trados Suite 2007 in Windows. The system works very well, especially since I have two 24" monitors, so I can put the Fusion/Windows window on one monitor and use the other monitor for everything I normally do on my Mac (such as run Safari, manage my e-mails, etc.). When I start the Mac in Windows using Boot Camp, I notice that Trados runs noticeably faster, but the speed difference isn't really important in actual use. One of the big advantages to this system is that I don't surf the Internet in Windows, so I don't get any viruses (at least, I haven't had any yet) and don't need antivirus software.

Dan

France
French to German
+ ...
Some replies... May 11, 2010

Hi Julia,

1) None, except if you want to see the final result (target only) in one of the word processor formats supported by WFP. As you have ruled out Office:mac 2008 and Pages, I would go for Office:mac 2004.

2) In the "Applications" folder of your iMac.

3) By opening the file to be translated within the WFP interface.

4) Seen globally, yes. You may have to make some minor formatting adjustements in the target file (long word, page breaks)...

[Edited at 2010-05-11 19:51 GMT]

Monica Paolillo
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
A REPLY AND A QUESTION FOR YASMIN!!! May 12, 2010

Hi Julia,

I am a Mac enthusiast, so far I had always used Trados and other CAT tools in Parallels, meaning the CAT would have to run on a virtual machine and I could not get rid of Windows completely, which was very disturbing.

I bought Wordfast Pro for Mac a couple of weeks ago. I was able to import all of my TMs and the programme runs smoothly so I can recommend it. I use the latest version of Snow Leopard.

One thing I have to point out though and maybe Yasmin can help (?).

In some cases I need to get a two-column printout which is useful e.g. to review tables with a lot of numbers and units of measurement and spot minor changes here and there. I don't seem to be able to convince Wordfast Pro to print!!!!!!

When I use the Print command, the programme simply asks which printer I want to use, I choose my printer and click OK but ***NOTHING HAPPENS***. This is driving me kind of crazy. So Yasmin, I need your help!

Monica

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Slightly off-topic May 12, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I use Office:mac 2008 but in general would *not* recommend it to my worst enemy. Therefore and as suggested by Yasmin, I would go for Office:mac 2004

HI Laurent, I'm using Office:mac 2004 - what are the main defects of Office:mac 2008? I often hear people saying how awful it is - but why is it awful?

France
French to German
+ ...
Slightly OT followed: my main concerns... May 12, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

HI Laurent, I'm using Office:mac 2004 - what are the main defects of Office:mac 2008? I often hear people saying how awful it is - but why is it awful?

Hi Tom,
my main concern/problem so far is that updates loop and never install themselves.
I watched this circus happening every week until I lost patience (which took some timeicon_smile.gif) and decided to deactivate the automatic update feature.
Manual updating does not work either. So my Office:mac 2008 is still waiting for "critical updates".

Other than that:
- the spellchecker reports an undefined error and stops working at random. Closing and then reopening the document (for example) does not bring any improvement as per this behaviour;
- applications freeze randomly and the best choice (apart from waiting) is to select "Force quitting";
- applications can take quite some time to start.

Other problems have been reported here: http://tinyurl.com/32ue9bb

Conclusion: even on a Mac, MS Office apps fail to work properly.

PS - I was tempted to add "Office:mac 2008 does not include VBA" but that would not have been fair as I was aware of that fact. It remains a pain in the back nonetheless.

PPS - what I especially like as a handy way to manage various documents is the Library Project. The PowerPoint templates are really great (somewhat better than those of Keynotes).

[Edited at 2010-05-12 10:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MAC OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard compatible with Wordfast/ Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search