Thread poster: Tae Kim

Tae Kim  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:21
Member (2007)
English to Korean
+ ...
May 10, 2010

I'm proofreading a Wordfast-translated word file. I know you use track changes in a regular word file for editing, but is there a similar feature in Wordfast too to make edits? Thank you very much.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
No track changes May 10, 2010

Tae Kim wrote: I know you use track changes in a regular word file for editing, but is there a similar feature in Wordfast too to make edits?

I dont use "Track changes" as it prevents me reading the text comfortably. All the underlines and coloured markings end up giving me blurred vision and slowing down the process considerably.

If you want you can use the MSWord Find/Change feature to change a term throughout the document, but this can be tricky (for example, if you change all the cats to dogs you might end up with "dogtle")

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
WF Plus May 10, 2010

You could try this add-on which provide additional functionality for WF classic.

Cheers

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use Tracked Changes May 10, 2010

Tae Kim wrote:
I'm proofreading a Wordfast-translated word file. I know you use track changes in a regular word file for editing, but is there a similar feature in Wordfast too to make edits?

You can use Track Changes, if you like:

1. Translator translates DOC file with Wordfast, and sends it to proofreader in uncleaned format.
2. Proofreader uses Track Changes (and be very careful not to break the tags), and sends it back to the translator.
3. Translator accepts/rejects the changes, and then cleans up the file.

You can also use Alt+down etc when doing the proofreadering, but you *must* remember to disable Track Changes every time you move to the next segment. You can do that using Ctrl+Shift+E. If you forget to disable it before moving to the next segment, you'll break your file and you'll have to fix it manually (not a pretty sight).

You won't be able to clean the file or update the TM while you have active tracked changes in the file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit Wordfast files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search