https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/172081-wordfast_not_loading_tmx_and_txt.html

Wordfast not loading tmx and txt
Thread poster: Anahit Simonyan
Anahit Simonyan
Anahit Simonyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:54
English to Armenian
+ ...
May 30, 2010

Can anyone tell me what could be the reason that Wordfast doesn´t load TMs in txt and tmx, created and exported from Trados. In case of txt TM is says ¨it is a Trados text TM not a Wordfast TM¨ and in case of tmx, it gives ¨is not responding¨, simply freezes and is not able to load. Maybe that´s because I still own the trial version of Wordfast?
Thank you. All help is highly appreciated.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Well, you have already at least one answer May 31, 2010

Anahit Simonyan wrote:

In case of txt TM is says ¨it is a Trados text TM not a Wordfast TM¨

That is exactly the answer.

and in case of tmx,

Try exporting to TMX level 1.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:54
English to Polish
+ ...
I know it's not a real solution May 31, 2010

but try using "the other" Wordfast (Classic if you're using Pro, and vice versa) to open the tmx. It'll be saved as a Wordfast .txt.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Try tmx May 31, 2010

WF cannot use the .txt files created by Trados, only the .tmx files (and its own .txt files). In WF Classic this is running smoothly. If you have some problems in WF Pro (I had one last week, where WF created empty TMs, only the heading was there) I suggest you to contact the support team.

Anahit Simonyan
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked ! Jun 1, 2010

Thank you everyone. I didn't know that wordfast doesn't load txt files created by Trados. I exported as tmx 1.1 and it loaded successfully. Thanks

Carolyn Brice
Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Pro or Classic? Jun 2, 2010

Anahit Simonyan wrote:

I exported as tmx 1.1 and it loaded successfully. Thanks

Did you load it using Wordfast Pro? Because Wordfast Pro won't seem to let me load tmx files, so until now I have been using Wordfast Classic to make it into a txt, but that isn't really a solution is it?

Anahit Simonyan
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast classic Jun 2, 2010

Carolyn, I loaded it with Wordfast Classic, not Wordfast Pro. Yes, indeed, it's a limitation, but there must be some solution to it, which other more Wordfast experienced colleagues may suggest.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Language Locales Jun 2, 2010

Carolyn Brice wrote:

Wordfast Pro won't seem to let me load tmx files, so until now I have been using Wordfast Classic to make it into a txt, but that isn't really a solution is it?

Dear Carolyn,

Could you please make sure you select the exact language locales when you open a TMX file in Wordfast Pro. To know the Language Locales of a TMX file, open it in NotePad first. Once you select the correct Language Locales, you will be able to import the TMX into Wordfast Pro.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

lestertrad
lestertrad
French to English
+ ...
I managed to do it Sep 21, 2010

thanks to Krzysztof's suggestion - opening the .ttx with WF Pro. But WFC version 561k won't do it - it refuses to even "see" a .ttx document. Shouldn't this function have been included in WF Classic by now?

[Edited at 2010-09-21 10:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-21 10:30 GMT]

Dragan Stanojevski
Dragan Stanojevski
English to Serbian
which programe? Dec 10, 2010

Anahit Simonyan wrote:

Thank you everyone. I didn't know that wordfast doesn't load txt files created by Trados. I exported as tmx 1.1 and it loaded successfully. Thanks

I'm sorry to interfere, but which program did you use to export the TM as tmx 1.1? Trados?

Anahit Simonyan
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Dec 11, 2010

Yes, Dragan, I used Trados for exporting the TM into tmx format.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Wordfast site Dec 11, 2010

lestertrad wrote:

thanks to Krzysztof's suggestion - opening the .ttx with WF Pro. But WFC version 561k won't do it - it refuses to even "see" a .ttx document. Shouldn't this function have been included in WF Classic by now?

On this page - http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast.html - (and I will assume that it is up to date), Wordfast say:

COMING SOON
Autocomplete feature
PDF, TTX and TXML support

Simon Mountifield
Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
Olifant? Dec 11, 2010

Just an idea and probably not the quickest solution, but what about opening the tmx file in Olifant and then exporting it in Wordfast txt format? Can you open it in Wordfast now?

Simon

[Edited at 2010-12-11 12:43 GMT]

Murielle M
Murielle M
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
English to French
TMX into TXT still not working in Wordfast Pro May 25, 2012

Hi,
I received a translation with a TM in TMX format (from Trados). I tried to open it in Wordfast Pro but it couldn't even 'see' it. So I followed the advice to use Olifant and successfully converted it to Wordfast Pro TXT and imported it, but when I select the imported TM, open the (Powerpoint) document in WF Pro and click on 'translate all', it doesn't work at all. What am I doing wrong? (I did try to check for this and that and remove the codes in Olifant, it makes no difference).

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Perform a TM lookup to check the TM is in use May 26, 2012

Murielle M wrote:
I received a translation with a TM in TMX format (from Trados). I tried to open it in Wordfast Pro but it couldn't even 'see' it. So I followed the advice to use Olifant and successfully converted it to Wordfast Pro TXT and imported it, but when I select the imported TM, open the (Powerpoint) document in WF Pro and click on 'translate all', it doesn't work at all. What am I doing wrong? (I did try to check for this and that and remove the codes in Olifant, it makes no difference).

What do you mean by "doesn't work at all"? Are you sure the TM contains material that should produce matches for your particular PowerPoint document? Are you able to perform a concordance search (called TM lookup in Wordfast Pro) on a Word you know is in the TM?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast not loading tmx and txt

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »