Dhiraj Khati  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 19:39
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Jun 2, 2010

Hi All,
I am just trying to learn how to use Wordfast.
I have downloaded demo version of wordfast pro for learning purpose.
The problem that I am facing now is that I am trying to learn translating simple words but that should be same as older translation. That means, I have also got old source and translation in excel file.
Is there any way to convert this excel file as a TM for this new project in wordfast because it takes lots of time to search old translation for the word to be translated.
I have searched a lot but got no exact answer.
Highly appreciate your reply.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2010-06-02 04:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:54
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
huh Jun 2, 2010

If you used WF Classic, I could recommend PlusToys for that....

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Lots of solutions out there Jun 2, 2010

Plustoyz may be one, plustools may be one.
Creating a bilingual .doc file manually using Excel is another (search the forum for a detailed description).
Converting the xls to a tab delimited txt, loading it into apsic xbench and exporting as TMX is another.

My TMX creator included in my aligner package is yet another, probably the most powerful and versatile of the lot (only for Windows, allows you to create a TMX with any date, creator ID and text field you wish).
DL: sourceforge.net/projects/aligner
Use: DL and unpack aligner.bat. Create a new folder in "Aligner". Add any notes to column 3 of your xls, select all text, copy to clipboard, paste into a text editor, save with UTF-8 encoding in the folder you created, launch TMX_creator.bat.

This gets asked about once a month... it's getting old. I think I'll write an article one of these days so I can just post a link for the next guy who doesn't bother to search thoroughly enough and asks the same question again.

[Edited at 2010-06-02 07:52 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Concatenate function - or glossary Jun 2, 2010

There is a very simple solution using the CONCATENATE function; its simplest implementation uses & signs.

You may, however consider using the glossary function of Wordfast for this purpose, rather than the translation memory. The glossary is a tab-delimited txt file, so converting an Excel table to this format is very easy: just copy+paste the two-column table into Word, and then use the "Convert table to text" function, with "tab" as delimiter.

Best regards,
Attila

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will you explain little more Jun 2, 2010

Attila Piróth wrote:

There is a very simple solution using the CONCATENATE function; its simplest implementation uses & signs.

You may, however consider using the glossary function of Wordfast for this purpose, rather than the translation memory. The glossary is a tab-delimited txt file, so converting an Excel table to this format is very easy: just copy+paste the two-column table into Word, and then use the "Convert table to text" function, with "tab" as delimiter.

Best regards,
Attila

Thank you very much for Magdelena and Attila,

I would like to request Attilla for little more explanation about second option of making glossary. I could not catch up whole thing. I am very new to CAT tools.
If it will be very hard for me to understand being new to this tools then better to suggest me to stop doing this. If you think it is easy for me understand though I am new for this, Please explain little more how to convert excel to tab-delimited txt file using "Convert table to Text" function.

Thanks

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Creating a WF glossary from an Excel file: step-by-step instructions Jun 2, 2010

Dhiraj Khati wrote:
Please explain little more how to convert excel to tab-delimited txt file using "Convert table to Text" function.

Hi Dhiraj,
Here you go:

1.) Open the file in Excel
2.) Select the two columns: source-language column on the left and target-language column on the right. (If necessary, move the columns in Excel to achieve this).
3.) Once selected, copy the two columns
4.) Open Word
5.) Paste the table into it. You have a two-column table in Word now.
6.) Select the whole table
7.) Go to the Table menu, and select the "Convert / Text to table" item. You need to specify a delimiter: select "tab" among the options. Perform the conversion with this setting
8.) Save the file as a txt file (rather than a doc file). Choose an appropriate location and name for the file
9.) Start Wordfast, and in the setup, and in the Terminology tab select the previously created glossary.
10.) Click on the TM editor icon of the Wordfast toolbar (second from the right), and then on the Glossary #1 tab. The glossary items should appear.

If you get stuck, please let me know where.
Kind regards,
Attila

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Excel to tab delimited... Jun 2, 2010

Is actually even easier.

All you need to do is copy the text to clipboard as Attila described, then, instead of pasting into MS Word and messing around with the convert to text function, just paste into a text editor such as Notepad. Then save (it's usually best to use File/Save as... and pick UTF-8 encoding).

In fact, Excel itself can also save as tab delimited txt. Just go File/Save as... and pick the tab delimited txt format. I myself prefer to use a text editor, though.

[Edited at 2010-06-02 09:31 GMT]

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 10:54
Can't you simply save Excel as a txt file, tab-delimited? Jun 2, 2010

When I have to create a Wordfast glossary, I simply save an Excel file as a txt, tab-delimited. But I only created empty glossaries this way.

My Wordfast has some bugs, it can't make a new glossary.

[Edited at 2010-06-02 09:29 GMT]

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Jun 2, 2010

Bin Tiede wrote:

When I have to create a Wordfast glossary, I simply save an Excel file as a txt, tab-delimited. But I only created empty glossaries this way.

My Wordfast has some bugs, it can't make a new glossary.

Of course you can. And you can also paste this file into an existing glossary. You'll just to have reorganize with WF.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Back to the original post Jun 2, 2010

The easiest way is to copy the two columns (source text on the left and target text on the right) into Word. Once you have this table here, you use PlusTools and you can directly create a TM (in most cases it works with no further steps): use the Align tab and click on the Create TM button. Choose the right language pair and give it an appropriate name.

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all, but I could not succeed Jun 2, 2010

Though your suggestions are simple and very line to line, I could not succeed to make it.
I converted all excel to .txt file with Tab delimited but the translation in the .txt file appears to be ????????? , which I think font incompatibility.

I think I understand the method. This time the problem may be with my fonts.

Thanks all of you for your kind suggestion and valuable time.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:54
English to Arabic
Unicode Jun 2, 2010

Dhiraj Khati wrote:

I converted all excel to .txt file with Tab delimited but the translation in the .txt file appears to be ?????????

Dear Dhiraj,

Instead of "Text (tab-delimited)", select "Unicode Text" while you are in the "Save as" dialogue. This should be better for non-Unicode languages and those including special characters.

As we are on it, it is better to adjust your Regional & Language Settings as follows:
Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced -> Language for non-Unicode programs -> (Select the non-Unicode language from the dropdown menu) -> OK.

(For Windows Vista users: Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Administrative -> Change System Locale -> (Select the non-Unicode language from the dropdown menu) -> OK.)

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2010-06-02 14:58 GMT]

Nepal
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Yasmin Jun 3, 2010

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating TM from excel file in Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search