Can Wordfast Pro 2.3 open Trados files?
Thread poster: Argentine Translator

Argentine Translator
Argentina
Local time: 15:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 8, 2010

How better is Wordfast Pro 2.3 for opening ttx files than Wordfast 5.90j? I am a Wordfast Classic license holder and I cannot open Trados (ttx) files because Wordfast 5.90j cannot find my language codes. Thanks and best regards, AT

[Editado a las 2010-06-08 19:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:01
English to Arabic
TTX must be "segmented" Jun 9, 2010

Argentine Translator wrote:

How better is Wordfast Pro 2.3 for opening ttx files than Wordfast 5.90j? I am a Wordfast Classic license holder and I cannot open Trados (ttx) files because Wordfast 5.90j cannot find my language codes.

This means that the TTX file in not segmented. Also, Wordfast Pro 2.3 requires TTX files to be segmented. The difference is that using Wordfast Pro for translating TTX files is much easier and safer.

For more information about translating TTX files in WFP, please refer to this knowledge-base article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2010-06-09 08:06 GMT]

Argentine Translator
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it is easy to handle WF Pro 2.3? Jun 9, 2010

Yasmin, Thank you for your reply. Should I ask my customer to segment the ttx file for me?
Is it easy to handle Wordfast Pro 2.3 or should I learn many new features? Regards, AT

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:01
English to Arabic
Detailed Steps Jun 9, 2010

Should I ask my customer to segment the ttx file for me?

This will be fine if you do not have a trial version of Trados or feel confused about how to segment the TTX. Most importantly, they have to apply the same TM that they want you to use, if any, and to check the option "Segment unknown sentences" while pre-translating the file.

Is it easy to handle Wordfast Pro 2.3 or should I learn many new features?

Not many, indeed!

- Right-click the "segmented" TTX and select to open it in Wordfast Pro.
- It will ask you to create a project for you if the current one has different language locales.
- Select the required TM: Translation Memory menu > New/Select TM > "Open" to browse for your TM (or "New" if you do not have one).
- Place the cursor in the target cell and press Ctrl+Alt+X or Alt+Delete to remove the copied source.
- Type the translation and press Alt+Down to commit (store) it into the TM and move to the next segment.
- While translating, make sure you enter the placeables in their proper places. Placeables look like {ut1}. Press Ctrl+Alt+Right to select a placeable and Ctrl+Alt+Down to insert it in its location in the target cell.
- Continue translation until the end of the file, press Alt+End, and make sure you have only violet, green and/or yellow segments; pink segments mean that they have been edited without committing into the TM.
- When you finish the translation, select "File" menu > "Save Translated File" to have the (bilingual) translated TTX file that you have to send back to your client.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Argentine Translator
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Yasmin Jun 9, 2010

Thank you for your assistance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Wordfast Pro 2.3 open Trados files?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search