WORDFAST PRO / Is it possible to edit source segments?
Thread poster: Evren Duruk
Evren Duruk
Turkey
Local time: 18:51
Jun 20, 2010

Hi there all,

After many frustrated hours I've spent with trying to fix my corrupted Trados TM, I finally decided to create a new TM and give Wordfast Pro a try.

Although there are lots of things I need to search in the forums regarding working with Wordfast Pro, there is one issue that is quite urgent I need to ask you (since I need to deliver a project in a couple of days).

In some of the word documents my customers send (and also in this particular urgent project) when the sentences get close to the right side of the line they are absurdly divided with enter key and continued from the line below; thus although the document seems in order visually, Wordfast is naturally not able to recognize the sentence as a whole in a single segment. In Trados I used to correct these manually when I saw such problems. But in Wordfast the source segments seem to be locked so I can't delete the enter commands and thus cannot also expand/merge the segments. When I see such a problem I have to close Wordfast, correct the particular sentence and save the word document, and reopen it in Wordfast, just to see that a similar problem exists only a couple of sentences later. The word document consists of more than 300 pages and I just cannot find the spirit to check for all such errors and correct them at a time.

So, any suggestion / shortcuts will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Evren Duruk,

Direct link Reply with quote

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:51
English to Polish
+ ...
no and yes Jun 21, 2010

You can't edit source segments in WF directly. What you can do is edit the source text in the .txml file in Notepad (or anything else for that matter).

You might also consider leaving the source text as is and splitting your translation into two segments. It won't help your TM but it will speed things up, as you will be able to delete all redundant paragraph breaks from the target text in MS Word (once it's finished) in one sitting, without all the opening/closing.

[Edited at 2010-06-21 08:09 GMT]

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:51
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Or edit the file in MS Word... Jun 27, 2010

Or you can edit the MS Word file itself (or whatever document type you may have). Editing the TXML file might be next to impossible as in it you also have the Wordfast tags.

The easiest way is to join the sentences in the DOC/DOCX file - here you will also get the visual aid of MS Word underlining broken paragraphs. Then reopen the DOC file and a new TXML file will be created, replacing the previous one. Any segments already translated will be automatically propagated as you start working again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WORDFAST PRO / Is it possible to edit source segments?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search