Is there a real manual on Word Fast Pro available?
Thread poster: Campman

Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 28, 2010

I am looking for a real, extended manual on Word Fast Pro, does it exist?

The manual that can be downloaded from the WordFast website is merely a repetition of the info that can be found under the Help-button in the program itself, so that is NOT what I am looking for.

All other info, training etc. on the WordFast website is very basic and leaves more questions than answering any.

Thank you for your help.
Karen

Direct link Reply with quote

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
none Jun 28, 2010

no such thing exist now as far as I know. Anyway it seems to me that the existing manual is OK, so what do you want is probably the source text of the program itself - and I am afraid it is not and will not be available for anybody.
Dušan Ján Hlísta

[Edited at 2010-06-28 13:05 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A useful link Jun 28, 2010

The articles found that the knowledge base, at http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&lang=engb are very useful for me.

Regards

Campman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The "Full technical manual" is not full and not technical Jun 28, 2010

Thank you for your replies. The manual which can be downloaded on the website is very incomplete, the knowdlegde base is virtually empty and as far I can see mostly relating to Wordfast and not to Wordfast Pro. I don't think these sources are very helpful.

I will ask a few of my questions on this forum, I may have just overlooked things and I hope the more experienced users can help me.
Cheers,
Karen

Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about the info at "Wordfast Help"? Jun 28, 2010

http://www.wordfast.com/WFP2/Wordfast_Pro_Help.htm#Welcome.htm

But, I'm not sure if this the same help found when using the help files.

Regards

Clarisa

Paula Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:59
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It'd be great Jun 29, 2010

I really wish we could have "Word Fast pro" for dummies...

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
Updating the manual Jun 29, 2010

Hi All,

We are currently working on updating the manual. I will let you know when it's available. Thank you all for your continued feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Worfast Pro has existed since a year and a half at least Jun 29, 2010

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Hi All,

We are currently working on updating the manual. I will let you know when it's available. Thank you all for your continued feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

and we still don't have a *real* manual.

I don't use Wordfast Pro any more for this reason.

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:59
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
I have also stopped using Wordfast Jun 29, 2010

I have uninstalled Wordfast and don't plan to re-install it in the future because of the unprofessionalism exhibited by this company ever since they released the so-called "Pro" thing. Every time it throws up some error, the installation gets corrupt, auto-update always causes problems, the list goes on. (Oh, and with version 2.4 I even can't get past the first screen when I try to create a new project, so the program basically won't let me translate with it! I don't know if there has ever been such a ridiculous bug in the whole history of software applications.)

Most importantly, this application is of no use to professional translators, I'm afraid: there are freebies which can do more things than Wordfast Pro. This application definitely does not deserve the "Pro" tag in its name.

[Edited at 2010-06-29 20:23 GMT]

Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm a professional translator, I do use Wordfast Jun 30, 2010

And I never had a single bug with Wordfast (I also have other CAT tools, and I'm happy with most of them).

I believe it is very dificult to create something like a "User Manual" that satifies every single translator. In my humbe opinion, I'm very satisfied with the info provided by Wordfast at its website, but I agree sometimes it is very difficult to find it.
Other CAT tools have huge user manuals and help files that confuse me, because there are too many pages to study. I believe, the Wordfast approach is to provide shorter user guides targeted to translators who really are not interested in very specific technical issues. Which is the middle term? Do you prefer a big user manual, or three user manuals, or only one & short user manual? Some translators are really lost in huge user manuals (I've noticed that they even refuse to read the "readme.txt" files with very useful information), while others, really need a detailed manual.

Besides, the marketplace has provided us with so many OS, software, hardware... perhaps what is causing you a bug is not is not found at my PC. And the software that never caused you a problem, will crash my PC!

Regards

Clarisa

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:59
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
What's missing is a "Quick Start Guide" Jun 30, 2010

I must say that I, too, was disappointed at first with Wordfast Pro, and I refused to use it for several months, but I've now grown to like it, and even more so with the latest updates.

The help system is a bit tough to use, but which other TM tool has an excellent help system?

I've tried to get to know Deja Vu and MemoQ quickly in order to be able to evaluate what their advantage would be, but I gave up as there was no easy way to get started and I didn't have much time to spend on getting to know these tools. And I'm currently trying to get to know Fluency, but I haven't yet managed to get past the point of importing a TM (the manual isn't easy either). It's all about persistence and getting your questions answered, but that requires time spent reading the manual or Help files, and time is a limited commodity.

To be honest, I had a lot less trouble with getting started with Wordfast than any other one I've tried, but what I really would like to see in any TM tool is a Quick Start Guide that just explain the basics on how to get started (creating a TM, importing TUs, opening an original, starting to translate, creating the cleaned translated file). After you have learned that, you can look at the other functions that seem to be useful to you, but at least you can do something with the program at this point.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a real manual on Word Fast Pro available?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search