Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2010

Can anyone help me?

I just want to translate all the colored cells in my Excel document.

I believe I need to somehow do a search and highlight these, but have not figured out how to do it. Can anyone help me?

I'm looking for something like "Highlight all items found in", as you have in Word.

[Edited at 2010-07-06 17:46 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Russian
+ ...
I would Jul 6, 2010

a) prepare a copy of the original excel file.
b) clear contents (delete) of all nonhighlighted cells.
c) translate the 'working copy' with highlighted cells only.
d) translate the original copy of the file with TM copying source into target where the translation in TM is missing (non-highlighted cells). The CAT will automatically insert translation from TM for the highlighted cells.

[Edited at 2010-07-06 17:58 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Delicate Jul 6, 2010

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

a) prepare a copy of the original excel file.
b) clear contents (delete) of all nonhighlighted cells.
c) translate the 'working copy' with highlighted cells only.
d) translate the original copy of the file with TM copying source into target where the translation in TM is missing (non-highlighted cells). The CAT will automatically insert translation from TM for the highlighted cells.

This could go wrong in a couple of ways.
For example, if the content a coloured cell is identical with a non-coloured one, both will get autotranslated with this method, which is not what you want.
You'de have to review the whole thing afterwards very carefully to catch errors like this.

Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Almost there Jul 6, 2010

Hi Segei.

Great idea.

How can I delete everything but the highlighted cells? There are only a few that are sporadically distributed throughout the spreadsheet.

Edward

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What I did Jul 6, 2010

Edward Potter wrote:
I just want to translate all the colored cells in my Excel document.

I had a similar problem recently. I tried all kinds of stuff, but Excel just isn't up to the type of find/replace operations necessary for this kind of work. In the end I used Trados 2009, because it has semi wysiwig capabilities when it comes for formatting of cells. Sorry I can't give you a WF answer.

Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I gave up Jul 6, 2010

Hi Samuel.

If you say it then it must so be. You are the Wordfast experticon_smile.gif.

After a few hours playing with it I gave up and am doing it without a CAT tool. I have TRADOS somewhere but am not going to start a learning curve on the thing now.

The closest I got was I found a macro somewhere that would delete lines that were not colored. That wasn't good enough since I only have individual cells sprinkled throughout the document that are colored and need translation.

It is a crying shame I couldn't find a solution. It would have been great with all the repetion, along with the formatting and language of the document.

Edward

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Never give up... Jul 7, 2010

I do not have English version Excel, so the terms used are not always correct.

Hide the cells that are not coloured (white background/pattern):

Go to Editing/Find and Replace – leaving the text boxes empty, go to Find format/Format/Pattern(background) colour and select No colour (white) – OK
Then go to Replace Format/Format/Number/Custom and write three semicolons (;;;) in the Code of format box – it means you want to hide the cells – OK, then Replace all.

Now the table has coloured cells only. Copy and paste the table into an empty excel file, then save and translate it.
When it is ready, copy the translated file, then open the original file, and "special paste" the translated table. If the special paste panel does not open, paste the translated table somewhere else in the original excel file (not in their correct place), then select, copy and Special paste it in the correct place – when the Special paste panel opens, check the „Skip if empty” radiobutton (to avoid overwriting the cells which were not translated).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating only colored cells in Excel with WF

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search