How to tell Wordfast to ignore text passages?
Thread poster: Peggy Maeyer

Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:33
English to German
Jul 8, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I am currently working on a Word doc with Wordfast Classic, and the doc contains passages already written in the target language (and that therefore do not have to be translated).

How do I tell Wordfast to ignore these passages a) during the translation process; b) when running the analysis and clean-up functions?

I've already tried to mark the relevant text as hidden, but that doesn't seem to work.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Peggy

NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Close and re-open, or Double strike through Jul 8, 2010

Just close WF with Alt+End and then re-open it some paragraphs later.

But you can also, if this is more convenient for you, use the double strike through function (in Tools > Setup > Segments, tick "Use DoubleStrikeThrough as untranslatable attribute") and then indicate all parts which doesn't have to be translated with Doube Strike Through, in Word.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Highlight gray 25% Jul 8, 2010

Highlight the non-translatable marks in 25% gray in the text. Then in Wordfast's Setup, go to the Segments tab and check the checkbox "Use Highlight Gray 25% as untranslatable attribute".

When you finished the translation, remove the highlight.

Note that when you remove highlight, you cannot simply choose to remove light gray highlight alone. This means that if the doc contains yellow, green, etc. highlight, they will also be removed.

That is why WF offers another option, to use the text effect "Marching red ants" as untranslatable attribute. The steps are the same.

Kind regards,
Attila

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Marching Red Ants Jul 8, 2010

Attila Piróth wrote:
That is why WF offers another option, to use the text effect "Marching red ants" as untranslatable attribute. The steps are the same.

I use marching red ants. You have to tell WF in the WF control panel to ignore marching red ants. If you don't want to see the ants marching, you can switch off text animations in Word's options, but remember to remove the ants before sending the file to the client. To remove all ants, select all text and change the font effect to "none".

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use forced segmentation Jul 8, 2010

I do it all the time: Put the cursor at the start of the segment you want to jump to and press Alt+Shift+Down. Wf will open the segment where the cursor is. That function is one reason why Wf is more comfortable in Word than Trados, even though Trados is faster.

Regards
Heinrich

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 8, 2010

Thanks everybody for your helpful answers- now it works! (love the ants)

I just hope that these options (gray highlight, red ants, double strike through) also exlude the passages from the overall analysis/clean-up report, haven't tried that yet.

Cheers,
Peggy

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
quicker way? Jul 8, 2010

What I'd do is simply "translate" those passages. Alt-Ins, Alt-down. Isn't it quicker than marking them?

The downside is that the TM will get contaminated. But the redundant entries won't create false hits because source text will be in the target language. And it may still be quicker to first translate everything and then clean up the TM rather than marking segment by segment (or not).

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Might be quicker but ... Jul 8, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

What I'd do is simply "translate" those passages. Alt-Ins, Alt-down. Isn't it quicker than marking them?

... only being quicker isn't quite the solution to my problem - I wouldn't mind doing what you suggest during the translation process itself, but for billing reasons I need Wordfast to exclude the passages in the analysis, i.e., not count the words/characters; with your method, all existing target language text would still be counted, right? (Unless I delete it for analysis and then repaste it - not a safe option bc it might lead to mistakes.)
So marching ants etc. work better in this case because they define - as I've now learned - unwanted passages as untranslatable text, and thus such text is ignoredicon_smile.gif

Regards & thanks,
Peggy

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-08 19:23 GMT]

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Maybe, maybe not Jul 8, 2010

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

What if there's 10 pages? How many segments would that be? You can mark all 10 pages with a click and a shift-click (or a click and drag). Particularly if, like me, you have a macro to set red ants and a toolbar button to run the macro. I have another macro/button to remove them all at the end of the job.

T.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Need to restart this thread - now for WordFast Pro! Sep 22, 2010

Well, now I know how to tell Wordfast Classic how to ignore text (marching ants, etc.).
Only recently, I've started working with Wordfast Pro 2.4.0.1 - and there, I can't find where to give/define the ignore command.
Does anyone know?
Thanks!
Peggy

Pietsch
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
to Peggy Mar 13, 2013

The feature is available in WF Pro. Just mark the fragments you don't want to touch using Word options: Font -> Hidden, save the file, and when you open it as txml, the fragments won't show. They will be marked by tags. As simple as that. It works nicely.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Why 2.4.0.1? Mar 13, 2013

Peggy Maeyer wrote:
Well, now I know how to tell Wordfast Classic how to ignore text (marching ants, etc.).
Only recently, I've started working with Wordfast Pro 2.4.0.1

You already got a reply to your question, but why are you using 2.4.0.1, which is really old and has many deficiencies fixed in later versions? As long as your license is valid, you can upgrade to a recent version (3.1.4 or 3.1.3) for free. And even if it's no longer valid, both 2.4 and 3.1 will run in demo mode, with the same restrictions.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes ... Mar 13, 2013

... Dominique, thanks for pointing that out - but if you have a closer look at my post, it's dated September 2010 - that's quite some time ago, and back then I used that WP version. No idea why my post seems to generate anwers almost 3 years later, but thanks to you anyway!

@Pietsch: Thanks to you too, by now I'm familiar with that trick.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Sorry! Mar 13, 2013

Peggy Maeyer wrote:
... Dominique, thanks for pointing that out - but if you have a closer look at my post, it's dated September 2010 - that's quite some time ago, and back then I used that WP version. No idea why my post seems to generate anwers almost 3 years later, but thanks to you anyway!

Sorry, I didn't realize your post was ancient history already!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to tell Wordfast to ignore text passages?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search