Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:59
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2010

Hello
I have built my Wordfast TM up to nearly 100,000 TUs and I'm finding that these
days it is slowing down quite a bit and using a lot of CPU.
Does anyone know how to streamline my TM? Or maybe I need to split it - in which
case, does anyone know the best (ie most logical) way to split it.
And, if I
split it, there is any way I can access the two TMs while translating (unlike
the "Terminology", which allows for three different glossaries, there seems to
be only one tab for the TM....), or can I only use one of the two split TMs?
Many thanks for any help.
Regards
Clinton

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 19:59
French to Dutch
+ ...
Some suggestions Jul 8, 2010

1) clean up your TM. For this, use WF Classic's TM editor (2nd button of the left), > Tools > Special filters > Mark redundant TUs (same source + target). Then use Ctrl + Del or Repair TM to delete redundant TUs. Reorganize as usual.
You can also use Olifant for this.

2) copy the whole TM from Notepad into an Excel spreadsheet and sort it on date. (Note: the first line, the WF indications, should stay there). Then cut and paste whole blocks of dates into a second spreadsheet. (this supposes that you don't do tourism translations and technical translations, for instance, at the same time). Save both, or all of them and reorganize them. Put all these TMs in the same directory.

Hope this helps, maybe other persons have other or more efficient ideas.

As for your other question, in WF Classic you can only have one active TM at the same time, but in WF Pro you can have more of them; just open them in the TM tab and establish a priority and/or read-only features.

[Modifié le 2010-07-08 15:34 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some ideas Jul 8, 2010

Comunican wrote:
I have built my Wordfast TM up to nearly 100,000 TUs ... Does anyone know how to streamline my TM?

Start by removing duplicate entries and "suspect" entries. You can do this with Okapi's Olifant tool.

Or maybe I need to split it - in which case, does anyone know the best (ie most logical) way to split it.

Age of TU might be the most logical option. Or you can simply split it manually by opening the TM in Word and using cut/paste. If you have more time, you can split it by job, and then merge it again by subject. Splitting by job may be possible by using the date entries.

And, if I split it, there is any way I can access the two TMs while translating, or can I only use one of the two split TMs?

Short answer: You can only use one TM at a time in WFC.
Long answer: There are ways to use more than one TM in WFC but at the cost of speed and performance.

Comunican
United Kingdom
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your suggestions, NMR Aug 9, 2010

NMR wrote:

1) clean up your TM. For this, use WF Classic's TM editor (2nd button of the left), > Tools > Special filters > Mark redundant TUs (same source + target). Then use Ctrl + Del or Repair TM to delete redundant TUs. Reorganize as usual.
You can also use Olifant for this.

2) copy the whole TM from Notepad into an Excel spreadsheet and sort it on date. (Note: the first line, the WF indications, should stay there). Then cut and paste whole blocks of dates into a second spreadsheet. (this supposes that you don't do tourism translations and technical translations, for instance, at the same time). Save both, or all of them and reorganize them. Put all these TMs in the same directory.

[Modifié le 2010-07-08 15:34 GMT]

Hello NMR and my apologies for taking so long to reply to you; I got a rush of work and other things going on, which have kept me busy with all but the most urgent tasts for the last few weeks....

With regard to your first suggestion, I regularly clean up my TM as you describe.
And I might give your second suggestion a try.
Many thanks, and kind regards

Comunican
United Kingdom
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel for your help and advice Aug 9, 2010

Hi Samuel and as I said to NMR, sorry for taking so long to reply to you; I got a rush of work and other things going on, which have kept me busy with all but the most urgent tasts for the last few weeks.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Start by removing duplicate entries and "suspect" entries. You can do this with Okapi's Olifant tool.

I took a look at Oliphant but not sure if I would feel comfortable using it, so will stick with Wf's de-duplicating facility for now.

Age of TU might be the most logical option. Or you can simply split it manually by opening the TM in Word and using cut/paste. If you have more time, you can split it by job, and then merge it again by subject. Splitting by job may be possible by using the date entries.

I'm about to get a new more powerful PC, so I'm hoping this will speed things up; if not, I'll split it up the way you suggest. And as NMR suggests, there are ways of using multiple TMs in Wf Pro, so I might look at that option

Many thanks for all your help and advice.
Kind regards

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:59
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Background translation memory Aug 9, 2010

NMR wrote:
--------
As for your other question, in WF Classic you can only have one active TM at the same time, but in WF Pro you can have more of them; just open them in the TM tab and establish a priority and/or read-only features.

Many thanks to NMR. WordFast Classic has background TM (BTM) that is readonly like other CATs. By splitting TM into BTM as suggested by NMR, CPU loads can be smaller. It is better not to run many programs at the same time with WordFast Classic.

Best regards,
Soonthon L.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Good luck Aug 9, 2010

Splitting TMs is not easy.

I didn't answer your second question:

Comunican wrote:

And, if I
split it, there is any way I can access the two TMs while translating (unlike
the "Terminology", which allows for three different glossaries, there seems to
be only one tab for the TM....), or can I only use one of the two split TMs?

In WF Classic you can only use one TM at a time (and have a background TM, which is not very useful). In WF Pro you can use several of them. This is one reason why WF Pro is more powerful.

For Soonthon, it is better to have rather small TMs in the beginning (none of my TMs has more than 10,000 units). Later on you can always combine them, using the Merge function, splitting them is more complicated. And now we have WF Pro, it is more useful to have several smaller TMs, because then you can see where the segments come from.

And always put the TMs in the same directory, so that you can use the Context search (called TM Lookup in WF Pro).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

streamlining / splitting my Wordfast TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search