Thread poster: xxxDave Cooper

xxxDave Cooper  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2010

Colleagues ...

This is a very basic question. I do not use any TM application at the moment. The possibility is that I will use Wordfast. However, that means using MS Word. Currently I use Open Office Writer. I am aware of Anaphraseus, and in fact I have that installed and I have been testing it. Anaphraseus works almost precisely as Wordfast I note.

But I am having a very basic block about this. I have scoured the Web, downloaded Wordfast documentation, and checked the FAQ by the way ...

Questions:

1. When I create a TM txt file from the original source document to the document I translate. Is it OK to create translation units that comprise an entire sentence; an entire paragraph? Or must I do it word-by-word (surely not). What are the limits?

2. Once the TM txt file is completed, I am going to assume that I can use it on other source documents. BUT, if the translation units are specific to the original source document, how does it apply to a new document? I have tried to use my first test TM text file on a new document, and absolutely nothing is presented to me after I highlight text to be translated. I assume that is because I am missing something and because the TM txt file I created is specific only to the original source file I created it from.

I am missing something integral here.

Is there someone who has a little time to help out a complete novice? I have sat through a number of tutorials and I see them load up a file to translate, load up a TM, and voila they get results. This does not happen with my file to translate with the TM I load up.

I find no tutorials online about this. If anyone has a good tutorial that walks you through this, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you ...

Dave
Amsterdam
www.claudius.com

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Old and new source files should be similar Jul 12, 2010

otherwise you will probably not get anything from your TM when opening a new file for translation.

First of all, I would like to clear up a misunderstanding - using Wordfast does nolonger mean you have to use Word. Wordfast Pro opens its own platform into which you open your TM and your file for translation.

When opening a document for translation, the text has been segmented by Wordfast (usually into sentences), and the translation of each segment is saved in your TM.

If/when you come across an identical or similar segment in the future, you will get either a 100% match (for an identical segment) or a lower % match (called a fuzzy match) for close but not identical segments.

If you know you have found a translation for a specific word/words earlier and need to see what it was, you can use the search function below the editor area to look up this word/text string in your TM.

I hope this helps a little.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers Jul 12, 2010

Dave Cooper wrote:
1. When I create a TM txt file from the original source document to the document I translate. Is it OK to create translation units that comprise an entire sentence; an entire paragraph? Or must I do it word-by-word (surely not). What are the limits?

You can make segments as long or as short as you wish, but: segments may not contain paragraph marks or tabs. If you want to include more than one paragraph in a segment, replace the hard returns (^p in MS Word) with soft returns (^l in MS Word).

2. Once the TM txt file is completed, I am going to assume that I can use it on other source documents. BUT, if the translation units are specific to the original source document, how does it apply to a new document?

If the TM does not contain any text that matches the segments in the new document, then the TM will not present you with any matches. If the TM does contain segments that are similar to the segments in your new file, then the TM will present you with a match or matches.

Obviously the way you segment the new file must be the same as the way you've segmented the old file, otherwise no matches will be found.

I have tried to use my first test TM text file on a new document, and absolutely nothing is presented to me after I highlight text to be translated.

Did you press Shift+Ctrl+down after selecting the text?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@PCovs Jul 12, 2010

PCovs wrote:
First of all, I would like to clear up a misunderstanding - using Wordfast does no longer mean you have to use Word. Wordfast Pro opens its own platform into which you open your TM and your file for translation.

True, but the OP spoke of Anaphraseus, which lead me to believe that he must be referring to WFC.

If you know you have found a translation for a specific word/words earlier and need to see what it was, you can use the search function below the editor area to look up this word/text string in your TM.

Yes. Select a word or phrase, and press Ctrl+Alt+C.

xxxDave Cooper  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the responses ... Jul 12, 2010

PCovs ...

I figured that the documents must at least be dealing with similar or the same topics. And they are. These are documents that concern plastic pollution in the North Pacific Gyre (pretty specific). I will take Murray's suggestion to "press Shift+Ctrl+down" (after finding out what command that is invoking since a search of Wordfast.doc "User Manual Version 5" does not find a "Shift+Ctrl+down" ... could you supply the command name or the menu selection please?). I will also do a little more testing.

I have been investigating the possibilities of using a TM application (including Wordfast) on Open Office Writer because I prefer not to use the Microsoft Office Suite and in particular not to use Microsoft Word. However, if my hand is forced, I will have to reluctantly. So when you said that it is not necessary to use Microsoft Word, I was naturally very happy to hear that. Although I have noticed a lot of back and forth banter about this, so I reckon I am on my own to try it myself.

Samuel Murray ...

I am sorry but a couple of terms you use in your last response mean nothing to me: OP? WFC? So that part of the discussion went over my head.

Thanks to both of your for your time and your explanations. I will go back to testing and trying this out some more.

Regards ...

Dave Cooper
Amsterdam
www.claudius.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with TM application novice ...

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search