Client receives cleaned WF files as .docm and can't open them
Thread poster: Peggy Maeyer

Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to German
Jul 26, 2010

Dear colleagues,

There suddenly seems to be a problem with Word documents I translated using Wordfast Classic.
During the translation and clean-up process on my side, no problems occurred. Now my client tells me that she received the files (which were .doc in the beginning) as .docm files (which to my knowledge indicates that there are macros in the files, right?).
She could open them initially, but after she made some changes to the text and then saved the files again, she now can't even open them anymore.

How come the files are suddenly .docm files? I have not added any macros, and in my client folder, the Word files are still all shown as .doc.
Does WF add any macros to documents?
The files were properly cleaned, that I checked already.

What I did now to deliver a usable version to my client quickly is that I copied the translated text back into a newly saved original Word document, and now she can open/edit/save them.

But that's not a long-term solution in case the problem remains. (Esp. because the client has to go through the docs again and insert her changes again).

Any ideas how to go about this, anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Has your client tried changing the extension? Jul 26, 2010

The obvious solution that comes to mind is that your client could save the files as .doc herself after her revision - has she tried this? (File - save as - File type = Word document, or actually typing .doc after the file name)

Alternatively, she could try changing the extension in Windows Explorer.

I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions as to why it might be happening in the first place, though.

[Edited at 2010-07-26 09:06 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to German
Thanks Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for your answer.
It seems my client can open the files when she first receives them, but when she edits them and saves them again, she can't open them anymore. So I assume the problem is on their side rather than on mine. (BTW, I sent the same document to a colleage, and he received it as a proper .doc file, no "m" added.) Let's hope it doesn't happen too often!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client receives cleaned WF files as .docm and can't open them

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search