Client receives cleaned WF files as .docm and can't open them
Thread poster: Peggy Maeyer
Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
English to German
Jul 26, 2010

Dear colleagues,

There suddenly seems to be a problem with Word documents I translated using Wordfast Classic.
During the translation and clean-up process on my side, no problems occurred. Now my client tells me that she received the files (which were .doc in the beginning) as .docm files (which to my knowledge indicates that there are macros in the files, right?).
She could open them initially, but after she made some changes to the text and then saved the files again, she now can't even open them anymore.

How come the files are suddenly .docm files? I have not added any macros, and in my client folder, the Word files are still all shown as .doc.
Does WF add any macros to documents?
The files were properly cleaned, that I checked already.

What I did now to deliver a usable version to my client quickly is that I copied the translated text back into a newly saved original Word document, and now she can open/edit/save them.

But that's not a long-term solution in case the problem remains. (Esp. because the client has to go through the docs again and insert her changes again).

Any ideas how to go about this, anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks in advance,
Peggy

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Has your client tried changing the extension? Jul 26, 2010

The obvious solution that comes to mind is that your client could save the files as .doc herself after her revision - has she tried this? (File - save as - File type = Word document, or actually typing .doc after the file name)

Alternatively, she could try changing the extension in Windows Explorer.

I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions as to why it might be happening in the first place, though.

[Edited at 2010-07-26 09:06 GMT]

Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 29, 2010

Thanks for your answer.
It seems my client can open the files when she first receives them, but when she edits them and saves them again, she can't open them anymore. So I assume the problem is on their side rather than on mine. (BTW, I sent the same document to a colleage, and he received it as a proper .doc file, no "m" added.) Let's hope it doesn't happen too often!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client receives cleaned WF files as .docm and can't open them

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search