what happens when the memory limit is reached in the free version of WordFast Classic ?
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna

Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:11
English to Spanish
Jul 26, 2010

I think the limit is 500 translation units. Can I use the tool after that without crashing the system or my current translation ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
answer Jul 26, 2010

ask Yves Champollion - he is the AUTHOR of the SW...

Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
I believe Jul 26, 2010

galone_es wrote:

I think the limit is 500 translation units. Can I use the tool after that without crashing the system or my current translation ?

I believe that you cannot use the services of Wordfast until you will buy licence...

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Just buy a licence Jul 26, 2010

galone_es wrote:

If I do remember, that's right (500 units). You can then use the tool without crashing, but the TM will not be more alimented. So, not very effective.

Good evening !

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
No Jul 26, 2010

AFAIK, after reaching the 500 TU limit, you simply have to create/open a new TM. You can use the latter until you reach the 500 TU limit again.

Nevertheless, I recommend buying this excellent CAT.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
At a certain point you'll get an error message and WF will stop working Jul 26, 2010

galone_es wrote:
I think the limit is 500 translation units. Can I use the tool after that without crashing the system or my current translation?

At a certain point you'll get an error message and WF will stop working. But your TM will be safe and your translation will be fine up to that point. If your file is bigger than 500 segments and you want to complete it, simply create a new, blank TM, and continue to use the program.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:11
Member (2008)
French to English
Transfer data to BTM Aug 5, 2010

Once you reach the limit you can still manage the TM, you just can't translate documents. So you can merge several TMs into one and use it as the BTM (there's no limit to the BTM size) and continue using smaller (less than 500 TUs) TMs for your operating TM. The BTM won't be updated but it will be drawn on for matches.

[Edited at 2010-08-05 20:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what happens when the memory limit is reached in the free version of WordFast Classic ?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search