Thread poster: Mark Bossanyi

Mark Bossanyi  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:16
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2010

I have just used the VLTM from WF 6.0, FR>EN, search depth 200. Here is an example of the translated segments which come up:
  • Kenya > Libyan Arab Jamahiriya - 100% match

• Gabon > Faroe Islands - 100% match

• Mozambique > Netherlands Antilles - 100% match

• Chine > Chine Standard Time - 100% match

• Asie et Pacifique > Pacific Standard Time - 45% match

• PROJET > (Job) Lines

• ZOOM SUR LE MECANISME REDD > Character Set - 46% match

• Région > Pay-to County - 100% match

• Afrique - no match available

• Asie - no match available

• Etat > Withholding Taxes Payable - 99% match

• Seychelles > Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands - 100% match

... and so on at great length. Very few of the results bear even a remote similarity. I find it hard to believe that when so much work has been put into the VLTM, the results, even for very commonly-used one-word segments, can be so spectacularly and consistently wrong. Which makes me think that I myself am doing something wrong. Am I? Any ideas?

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
French to English
Long shot - sort order? Jul 31, 2010

If the segments you are finding were created from an aligned list of countries, sorted alphabetically, that could explain why the countries are relatively close, alphabetically, but utterly wrong. Most country names in Eng & Fr are similar and start with the same letter, as you know, but some of course do not. So Afghanistan and Albania could be OK, but once Allemagne joins the French list, the English list is out of step (as Germany is much further down). And so on. Perhaps you could experiment with some lists of countries in Excel or something, and see if that explains it....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VLTM translation suggestions not just fuzzy, but spectacularly wrong

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search