https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/177922-saving_translated_excel_document_from_wf_2401.html

Saving translated Excel-document from WF 2.4.0.1
Thread poster: Joern Wennerstroem
Joern Wennerstroem
Joern Wennerstroem  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
English to Danish
Aug 15, 2010

I have translated an Excel (Office 2007) document of 534 segments. I need to deliver the clean Excel-document. For this I choose: File/Save translated file.
I get the following error-message:
Problem aligning document. Segment id: 357
Reason: A worksheet with the same name already exists.
============
I've checked this a gazillion times. No document of the same name exists on the machine. I do not have a solution for the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.... See more
I have translated an Excel (Office 2007) document of 534 segments. I need to deliver the clean Excel-document. For this I choose: File/Save translated file.
============
I've checked this a gazillion times. No document of the same name exists on the machine. I do not have a solution for the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
System: Win XP Home ED. SP 3
Wordfast 2.4.0.1
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:33
English to French
+ ...
save as Aug 15, 2010

I have no idea why "save translated file" doesn't work, and hope someone will be able to help you. In the interim though (since I assume a Sunday request can be very urgent!), did you try to save the txml under a different name using the "save as" function, and then use "save translated file" from that copy to obtain a clean file?

Regards
Aude

Joern Wennerstroem
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Save as (different filename) before Saving translated document Aug 15, 2010

Thanks Aude, Unfortunately your suggestion did not work I still get this crazy error concerning segment id 357

Joern Wennerstroem
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Save translated file problem solved (sort of...) Aug 15, 2010

I solved the problem, sort of. I simply went to the apparently offending segment (id 357), deleted the text there - my translation as it were. Subsequently the file could now be saved, of course sans the offending text. It was only one word, so it can be entered manually afterwards. But I have no inkling as to the true nature of the problem. I'd deem this a workaround....

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
- Aug 15, 2010

Thanks Joern for keeping me informed.

It is weird indeed. I cannot see the link between a 'corrupted' row and the message you had re an alleged preexisting file with the same name. But I am not good at all at computers/programming, a colleague might find this crystal clear.

I'm happy you found this turnaround though!

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
worksheet Aug 15, 2010

Joern Wennerstroem wrote:

Dear Joern,

I am happy that you managed to Save Translated File.

For your (and other colleagues') information, a "worksheet" does not mean another file; it means a "Sheet" in the same Excel file, "a worksheet with the same name". So changing the name of one of the sheets (in the same Excel file) with the duplicate name should help.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:33
English to Thai
+ ...
Excel error message Aug 16, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
For your (and other colleagues') information, a "worksheet" does not mean another file; it means a "Sheet" in the same Excel file, "a worksheet with the same name". So changing the name of one of the sheets (in the same Excel file) with the duplicate name should help.

This is not a WFP error but an Excel error message. Many other CAT tools cannot translate the worksheet name [I need to edit after final cleaning of files] and they prevented the error message above. WFP waring message is not easy to understand unless you know the Excel behavior deeply.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Watch out for fuzzies! Aug 16, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

This is not a WFP error but an Excel error message. Many other CAT tools cannot translate the worksheet name [I need to edit after final cleaning of files] and they prevented the error message above. WFP waring message is not easy to understand unless you know the Excel behavior deeply.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

I think this is generally human error. When you have Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3, once you've translated the first sheet name, when you come across "Sheet2", you get a fuzzy match from "Sheet1". If a user validates the segment, there will be two sheets with the same name.

Cheers,
John

Joern Wennerstroem
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - for good this time Aug 16, 2010

Thanks to the latest posters for good and usable information about the nature of the problem. Also kudos to other colleagues out there coming to rescue me from my Sunday (as it were) woes

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Use Replaceables for higher TM matches Aug 16, 2010

Dear John,

This is a very good point.

Now, in WFP 2.4 (and later versions), when the only difference between two sentences is in numbers; in this case, you can check the option "Use Replaceables for higher TM matches" (Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory). This will automatically replace the numbers in such fuzzy matches instead of offering them with incorrect numbers from old translated sentences stored in the TM.

So, with this option checked: When y
... See more
Dear John,

This is a very good point.

Now, in WFP 2.4 (and later versions), when the only difference between two sentences is in numbers; in this case, you can check the option "Use Replaceables for higher TM matches" (Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory). This will automatically replace the numbers in such fuzzy matches instead of offering them with incorrect numbers from old translated sentences stored in the TM.

So, with this option checked: When you have Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3, once you've translated the first sheet name, when you come across "Sheet2", you get an EXACT MATCH with the corrected number.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

John Di Rico wrote:

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

I think this is generally human error. When you have Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3, once you've translated the first sheet name, when you come across "Sheet2", you get a fuzzy match from "Sheet1". If a user validates the segment, there will be two sheets with the same name.

Cheers,
John

[Edited at 2010-08-16 23:06 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:33
English to Thai
+ ...
A very great suggestion Aug 17, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

So, with this option checked: When you have Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3, once you've translated the first sheet name, when you come across "Sheet2", you get an EXACT MATCH with the corrected number.

This is a great point many other CATs cannot provide. I believe that many of CAT users have frequent mistakes on this point. Tank again, Yasmin.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
thanks Yasmin Aug 17, 2010

Thanks for the extra info Yasmin.

In WF Classic, there were "placeables" which fell into one of two categories: glossary terms or untranslatable elements (numbers, proper nouns, email addresses, etc.).

Does "replaceable" replace the term "placeable" or "untranslatable"?

Thanks!
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving translated Excel-document from WF 2.4.0.1

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »