Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:18
German to French
+ ...
Aug 20, 2010

Hi everybody,

I am totally new to Wordfast, although Trados proficient. I have the very latest version, downloaded a couple of days ago and licensed today.
I need to use an old trados TM in Wordfast and as far as I understood, the way to go is to export it as a TMX file and simply open it in WF. But this doesn't work. WF processes my request, processes and processes and never finally opens it.

Can you please help? Sorry if this is a stupid question or already answ
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am totally new to Wordfast, although Trados proficient. I have the very latest version, downloaded a couple of days ago and licensed today.
I need to use an old trados TM in Wordfast and as far as I understood, the way to go is to export it as a TMX file and simply open it in WF. But this doesn't work. WF processes my request, processes and processes and never finally opens it.

Can you please help? Sorry if this is a stupid question or already answered, but I could find it either in the search, either in the user guide.

And in fact, I have another question: when I finally open it, I'll need to merge this TM with a WF TM. I read from the user guide that I should use the "Merge" button, but there is no such button in my interface. What can I do?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Some ideas Aug 20, 2010

Hi Sophie !

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

as far as I understood, the way to go is to export it as a TMX file and simply open it in WF. But this doesn't work. WF processes my request, processes and processes and never finally opens it.

It should work like that (WF convert the TMX to TXT) ... unless the exported TMX is corrupted. Just check and fix it if necessary) with tools like TMX Validator

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/TMXValidator.shtml

or Olifant

http://www.translationdirectory.com/free_software/olifant.php

I read from the user guide that I should use the "Merge" button, but there is no such button in my interface. What can I do?

In the WFC tools bar, click TM Editor.

Click Tools

Open the list Special filters

Select Merge the current TM with another TM

Voilà et bonne continuation.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
French to English
+ ...
TM editor Aug 20, 2010

Hi Sophie,

By opening the TM, it simply means save the tmx file to your Wordfast TM folder and then when selecting the TM and glossaries for your document, simply click on that document after you click on Select TM. Wordfast should then covert it for you automatically and you should see the file as both a tmx file and a txt file in you TM file afterwards.

As for merging the two TMs, once you've set up the TM as above and you're working in the document, you need to click
... See more
Hi Sophie,

By opening the TM, it simply means save the tmx file to your Wordfast TM folder and then when selecting the TM and glossaries for your document, simply click on that document after you click on Select TM. Wordfast should then covert it for you automatically and you should see the file as both a tmx file and a txt file in you TM file afterwards.

As for merging the two TMs, once you've set up the TM as above and you're working in the document, you need to click on the TM editor button on the Wordfast toolbar - the penultimate button next to the Wf setup button on my version. You'll then be asked if you want to edit the TM in Word (say no) and it should bring up a translation memory screen with a tab for Tools at the far right-hand side. If you click Tools and then the arrow next to Special filters, you'll see the option to Merge current TM with another one. If you click on that and follow the instructions (i.e. merging with a selected TM or all the TMs in your folder, it should be straightforward from then on.

Good luck!

Claire

[Edited at 2010-08-20 14:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-20 14:35 GMT]
Collapse

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
or Aug 20, 2010

simply download the free Olifant tool and use it for conversion:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/index.html

Baofeng Guo
Baofeng Guo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:18
Chinese to English
+ ...
Convert Trados-based TM to Wordfast-based TM with Olifant Aug 21, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Hi everybody,

Coincidentally, I just wrote a post on how to convert TMs between Trados-based TM and Wordfast-based TM with Olifant, a small Windows application. Please click the following link to have a look http://xmtranslator.blogspot.com/2010/08/olifanttradoswordfast.html.
Although this post was written in Chinese, I detailed the process step by step and with a lots of illustrations. I hope this helps.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simpler, simpler Aug 21, 2010

For seamless import into WF, just make sure that your TMX file is TMX 1.1, not 1.4. Does this work?

Sophie Dzhygir
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 21, 2010

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for your contributions!
I tried exporting to all available TMX versions, nothing worked.
But I used Olifant and it solved the problem. Baofeng, thank you for your posting! I didn't believe it at first (me? reading Chinese?) but it did help me!

I also found the merge option, although what you all call "TM Editor" is called "Data Editor" in my version (probably a recent change?) and merging went smoothly.

But I must ad
... See more
Hi everybody,

But I used Olifant and it solved the problem. Baofeng, thank you for your posting! I didn't believe it at first (me? reading Chinese?) but it did help me!

I also found the merge option, although what you all call "TM Editor" is called "Data Editor" in my version (probably a recent change?) and merging went smoothly.

But I must admit that I am a bit disappointed that it is so long and complicated to convert a TM.

Anyway, thanks again to all!
Collapse

Baofeng Guo
Baofeng Guo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:18
Chinese to English
+ ...
You are clever Aug 21, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Hi everybody,

You are welcome. You are quite clever. I was a little afraid of that you might not solve this problem, because it was written in Chinese.

In addition, you can call me Baofeng or Peter.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:18
English to Thai
+ ...
Direct opening of TMX in WFC Aug 21, 2010

This is a simplest method: open your WFC. Next, open the TM for your language pair by typing the TMX TM name directly e.g. german_english.tmx into WFC TM open box (default TM file extension is .txt, however). It will be read into WFC. You got it without labor to improt/convert the TM format at all.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Sophie Dzhygir
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Soonthon Aug 21, 2010

Thanks for your suggestion, but where is the "TM open box"? I can see no such thing. Until now, I have gone to Setup to select TMs, but there is nothing I can write into, there.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
It should not be complicated Aug 21, 2010

There is no "TM open box". Soonthon means the Select TM button in the main menu. And he suggests you to type the name of the TM here (instead of browsing the files). Wordfast converts automatically into the Wordfast .txt format.

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

But I must admit that I am a bit disappointed that it is so long and complicated to convert a TM.

It is not long and complicated, or it shouldn't be. The only time I had a problem (in nine years) was when the .tmx file was in fact a Trados .txt file, named xxxx.tmx. I asked my client for a real .tmx and the problem was solved.
Olifant is not very easy to use, I gave it up.

As for the Merge function, it cannot be found in the menus, you should go to the Toolbar (those icons in green/blue), second icon from the right, which is called TM editor. There you click on the Tools button at the right > Special filters > Merge current TM with another one. If this doesn't work, open both TMs in Wordpad, or in Word, and copy the contents of the second TM under the contents of the first one. (it is plain text).

Hope this helps. Bon courage.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:18
English to Thai
+ ...
Setup Aug 22, 2010

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion, but where is the "TM open box"? I can see no such thing. Until now, I have gone to Setup to select TMs, but there is nothing I can write into, there.

I am sorry for bad word I use, WordFast Classic's setup tab is where your fill your TMX TM e.g. typing directly to select the TM as myge_en.tmx file name or others (not default file type).

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

lestertrad
lestertrad
French to English
+ ...
This doesn't seem to work Sep 21, 2010

with newer versions. Can anyone update this thread? I am having the exact same problem. No matter how I try to force WFC to use a .tmx (from Trados) as backup TM, it won't.

Thanks to all in advance.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Tmx Sep 21, 2010

lestertrad wrote:

with newer versions. Can anyone update this thread? I am having the exact same problem. No matter how I try to force WFC to use a .tmx (from Trados) as backup TM, it won't.

Thanks to all in advance.

I suggest you to try this: Open the .tmx file first as a normal TM. This will create a .txt file on your harddisk. Locate this one and open it with the Select BTM function.

Does this help?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a TMX TM in Wordfast Classic

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »