TMs and glossaries: target language Romanian - simple text or Unicode? Glossary problem.
Thread poster: Oana Popovici

Oana Popovici
Italy
Local time: 14:51
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

1) I'm almost sure it's a silly question, though, being new to using Wordfast and having found no clear information about this issue in the Wordfast manuals and training sessions (1 and 2), I hope you'll forgive me.

So, I'm taking the first steps with Wordfast Classic version 5.91i and have an Italian into Romanian project to work on.

Now, my question is in my post title: how do I have to save my TMs and glossaries when the target language is Romanian: simple text or unicode?

I work on a laptop pc running Windows 7 Home Premium, Office 2007 Enterprise.

Please find below the references I found in the Wordfast Technical Reference Manual:

"Special care
Non-Latin-1 languages
Latin-1 is a character set used for most West-European languages, including Scandinavian languages. It includes all English letters, plus a large number of accented letters (East-European languages like Polish, Czech, Hungarian, etc. use another character set known as CE or Latin-2 and do not fall in the Latin-1 group).
If you do not use Unicode, and your system is Windows NT4, Windows95, or Windows98, then the display of characters in the glossaries and in message boxes may perhaps not be possible, which is a minor annoyance.
I recommend using Windows 2000 (or a higher OS) and Ms-Word 2000 (or a higher version), or Mac OSX, with Unicode translation memories, although older platforms may behave well.
CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean)
The following discussion concerns the internal data used by Wordfast (translation memories and glossaries). It does not concern documents.

Unicode translation memories and glossaries should be used for translation where one of two languages is CJK. All versions of Wordfast after the year 2007 use only Unicode TMs and glossaries, so that should not be a worry."

Romanian is a CE or Latin-2 language, right?

I tried saving TMs both as simple text and as unicode. I must say the diacritics seem to be properly displayed in both cases, but I want to be sure that my client will also view them correctly when I hand him the newly created TM.

2) If I create a new Glossary, empty or not, in Excel by saving it as a tab-delimited file or in Word before opening the document to be translated, Wordfast prompts me that Document * (* stands for a different number each time) couldn't be found.

Why does this happen and how can I solve the problem?

Thank you for your help.
Oana

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Unicode Aug 29, 2010

I tried saving TMs both as simple text and as unicode. I must say the diacritics seem to be properly displayed in both cases, but I want to be sure that my client will also view them correctly when I hand him the newly created TM.

If your client’s locale is different from yours, diacritics will be garbled. Thus, use Unicode to be on the safe side.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
Wf's encoding, Romanian encoding Aug 30, 2010

Oana Popovici wrote:
All versions of Wordfast after the year 2007 use only Unicode TMs and glossaries, so that should not be a worry."

Another pair of sleeves is how do you save your glossaries and TM-s, Oana. When you save a new TM or GL for the first time, after having linked them into a INI lang pair file, then go to Editor's icon and open them and re-save as Unicode. This is important, since, at least as txt variants before MS Office 2007* are concerned, there was a glitch in MS Word: it did not ask about the encoding when saving a txt file.

Romanian is a CE or Latin-2 language, right?

Yes and no. Examine this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-2
"It may be argued that ISO 8859-2 is not really suitable for Romanian because of lack of letters s and t with commas below, containing s and t with cedillas instead. These letters were unified in the first versions of the Unicode standard, meaning that the appearance with cedilla or with comma was treated as a glyph choice rather than as separate characters; fonts intended for use with Romanian should, therefore, have characters with comma below at those code points."

Use Unicode for every kind of text, Oana. In Windows, when you see plainly written: Unicode, it is UTF-16LE (Little Endian). Force always the re-saving operation if Wf's editor.

On Macintosh it is UTF-16BE, with a tendency to become a generalized UTF-16. I am referring to MS Word, here.

All word editors today are under unicode. Open source editors are mostly under UTF-8 per default.

Dragomir

MS Office 2007* - I'd better say: until MS Office XP

[Edited at 2010-08-30 11:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-30 11:26 GMT]

Oana Popovici
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 30, 2010

Thank you both for the hints!

Oana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMs and glossaries: target language Romanian - simple text or Unicode? Glossary problem.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search