Keeping bak files/quick clean
Thread poster: Monika Weiss

Monika Weiss  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:11
Spanish to English
Aug 30, 2010

Hi there,

Two things. I'm trying to do some housekeeping on my laptop and am wondering about getting rid of my bak files. Is there any reason to keep them? Will the TM that corresponds to each be erased with the file?

Also, in trying to find an answer to this question, I read where someone said that if you quick clean your document, it will not add to your TM. Is that true? If that's the case, would going back through my bak files and cleaning them a different way help?

Thank you for giving this a minute; I appreciate it!
Monika

Direct link Reply with quote

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:11
English to French
+ ...
quick-clean / clean-up Aug 30, 2010

Hello, I can only reply to your 2nd question: indeed when using the 'quick clean' option the TM is not updated. To do so you should use the "clean-up" option in the Tool tab of the Pandora's box.

More info in the WfC manual (http://www.wordfast.net/zip/wf_en5.zip)

p. 5 -- "2. Clean-up: When proof-reading is complete, click the Wordfast icon, click the Tools tab, select the translated document in the Select documents list, and click the "Clean-up" button (if you work for a translation agency, you may be required to skip this step, i.e., send back the segmented document before clean-up). Answer "Yes" to the "Update memory" question only if you have proof-read or edited your document without opening/closing segments."

p. 16 -- "Quick-clean (Ctrl+Alt+Q) cleans up a document without updating the memory (the real, full clean-up is performed from Wordfast's Tools tab). Quick-clean can be used if you revised the document by re-opening segments, so that changes are recorded in the TM."

United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
bak files Aug 30, 2010

Thank you, Aude! That is great information and now some things make better sense to me regarding my TM (or lack thereof). Once I finish the translation I'm working on, I may just go back through my old bak documents and see if it is possible to capture the TM that way.

Again, thanks so much for your response!
Monika

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:11
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Another option Aug 31, 2010

I just want to add some knowledge base for Monika regarding Trados 2007 (or older versions) and WordFast Classic compatibility:
Aude Sylvain wrote:
p. 5 -- "2. Clean-up: When proof-reading is complete, click the Wordfast icon, click the Tools tab, select the translated document in the Select documents list, and click the "Clean-up" button (if you work for a translation agency, you may be required to skip this step, i.e., send back the segmented document before clean-up). Answer "Yes" to the "Update memory" question only if you have proof-read or edited your document without opening/closing segments."

This can be done by cleaning *.bak (change file extension to *.doc/*.rtf) in Trados WorkBench+MS Word's Trados Clean command or WorkBench Clean tool. You get an updated Trados TM file.

Aude Sylvain wrote:
p. 16 -- "Quick-clean (Ctrl+Alt+Q) cleans up a document without updating the memory (the real, full clean-up is performed from Wordfast's Tools tab). Quick-clean can be used if you revised the document by re-opening segments, so that changes are recorded in the TM."

This can be done by cleaning *.bak (change file extension to *.doc/*.rtf) in Trados WorkBench+MS Word's twmain.clean macro command. You do not get an updated Trados TM file, but clean file formats/font types are never corrupted for certain target languages.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

broken_guitar
Local time: 11:11
Cleaning-up & Bad Segments Sep 5, 2010

Monika Weiss wrote:

Once I finish the translation I'm working on, I may just go back through my old bak documents and see if it is possible to capture the TM that way.

Just take care, because once you Clean-up, the TM is totally updated, so... as she said: Proofread before cleaning up, alright?!

But, anyway you can sure recover past translations by doing this procedure.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the TM captures entries from the so-called "bad segments". I also would like to know why it happens.

United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Returning to keeping the bak file question Sep 5, 2010

First, thank you to all three for responding! I am happily on my way through all old bak files to extract a proper TM. I appreciate the advice on proofreading and will do so for clean-ups from here forward but probably won't go back and proofread old documents. Truthfully, even if I have a 100% match on a sentence, I always reread the translation to see if I can improve upon my own work.

Back to my original question, once I have extracted the TM from my old bak documents, is there a reason to keep them? I like saving the translations themselves but wouldn't mind removing the bak copies if they don't serve any other purpose.

Thanks again!
Monika

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:11
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
No reason Sep 5, 2010

Monika Weiss wrote:

Back to my original question, once I have extracted the TM from my old bak documents, is there a reason to keep them?

It’s better to keep backups of original files (until you finish your project) and your TM files.

broken_guitar
Local time: 11:11
Agreed Sep 5, 2010

esperantisto wrote:

Monika Weiss wrote:

Back to my original question, once I have extracted the TM from my old bak documents, is there a reason to keep them?

It’s better to keep backups of original files (until you finish your project) and your TM files.

Agreed. Bak files - in my opinion - are for urgent backup situations. For example, when you lose the original file, or in case it is somehow corrupted. Otherwise, if the original files are ok, and the translated files are also ok; so... I see no reason why to keep the bak files.

[Edited at 2010-09-05 20:33 GMT]

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 15:11
French to Dutch
+ ...
I keep them Sep 9, 2010

For two reasons:
- looking up things is very easy in a bak file. For instance if the client says to you: "you translated xxx by yyy on the fifth line in the second page", then you have it immediately, source text directly followed by the target text.
- it happened that I had to reorganize my TMs, for instance that I had to send them back to the client, but only the segments which belonged to that client.
- sometimes the client comes back with modifications (even a year later), they are then easy to integrate in the bak text, followed by a new clean-up.

PS I never do "quick clean-ups" (don't even understand why this exists) and indeed always proofread and print out the translations before cleaning-up.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:11
Member (2008)
French to English
Saving vs. deleting .bak files Sep 9, 2010

The WF .bak files are bilingual files. If you have both the source and target files saved you may never need them. If you ever had to produce a bilingual file after the fact you could recreate it with the PlusTools aligner. You can recreate TMs from the bak files, if needed. Deleting them has nothing to do with the TM.

On the other hand, I always keep them. Don't know why - I just hate deleting stuff - I suppose I've had a couple of HD crashes aver the years and been glad of/wished I'd had backups. I have mutliple external hard drives and move old files (like over a year old) out of my computer's internal hard drive to save space, so never need to delete anything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keeping bak files/quick clean

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search