Wordfast very slow
Thread poster: Seamus Moran

Seamus Moran  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 19:01
German to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2010

I am currently working on a manual with Wordfast Version 5.53 and it is proving to be dreadfully slow. I don't normally have problems with Wordfast but this bug has occurred upon reaching the middle of the first page of this translation. Is there anything I can do to solve it? Changing the page view doesn't help either.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:01
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
smaller file parts Sep 1, 2010

Seamus Moran wrote:

I am currently working on a manual with Wordfast Version 5.53 and it is proving to be dreadfully slow. I don't normally have problems with Wordfast but this bug has occurred upon reaching the middle of the first page of this translation. Is there anything I can do to solve it? Changing the page view doesn't help either.

First of all, stop translating, save. Clean the TM (for the sake of having a clean TM). Leave document as it is, partially translated.

Break the document into smaller parts. Cut all from, let's say, 10-th page and ahead. Make 10 pages' files.

Do use normal view in MS Word (Word continuously paginates the file), disable viewing of images if really not necessary, but leave active the command: see image placeholders, so you can occasionally open some of them.

Please inform whether there were any improvement, Seamus.

Dragomir

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 20:01
French to Dutch
+ ...
+ other measures Sep 1, 2010

Besides using normal view, you can also disable repagination and disable spellcheck. (Normally WF does it automatically, but check this, just in case). And regularly save the document with another name so that it becomes smaller. (Word adds up different versions of the same file, after some time it becomes really big). Check that you don't have "columns" (columns take LOTS of memory, especially if combined with tables or figures). The problem is in Word here, not in Wordfast, which is behaving fine. In some documents Word will crash also without Wordfast.

Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Table Sep 1, 2010

Hello Dragomir

The file is actually one continuous table so it's not possible to divide it up & changing the view doesn't help eithericon_frown.gif but thanks for your input anyway.

Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Sep 1, 2010

I changed the view to "Web Layout" and it is much better now.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:01
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
A Long Table Sep 2, 2010

Seamus Moran wrote:

I changed the view to "Web Layout" and it is much better now.

In my recent situation, I translated a very long table with WordFast. My PC became very slow. I open the Windows Task Manager to see any program running behind. None. I needed to select that long table [using Alt+Number Pad '5'], and converted the table into texts. My WF became quicker and quicker on my Word outline view mode. I translated the texts without destroying paragraph marks. Next, I selected the texts and converted into a table again.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast very slow

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search